Memory

If I use 3GB and PAE switches in Windows 2K Advanced Server with 6GB RAM, how much memory wil be allotted to SQL Server and OS? For PAE switch to work correctly , does RAM has to be in the multiple of 4GB or it can be any amount above 4GB?

Kevin [MSFT]

Imagine a 4 GB memory space per process. By default, each process get's 2GB of memory space. The kernel has a system wide 2GB available.
If you enable the 3GB switch, then each app (assuming that it was written to take advantage of the 3GB switch) will now have 3GB
available and the kernel will be reduced to 1GB system wide.

SQL then by default will have 3GB to itself and the OS will have it's 1GB with the /3GB. Instead of doing this, you should not use the /3GB
switch and istead use the AWE feature of SQL to enable access to more memory. You would then be able to provide SQL with 4GB or more
RAM and not be depleting the OS of it's kernel memory address space.

This message is provided as is and does not imply any warranty or gaurantee of support of any kind.