Windows XP Memory resident programmes - are they a problem

Reaction score
I was wondering how much memory I should allow for start up applications Since I bought the computer, I have Napster client, Yahoo messenger, Film4 , BT internet, creative software support, Norton, Phillips Media Centre, Epsom Printer, Logitech Quick cam running

My main irritatio is that the Computer seems to take ages to get started, Norton is a particular slow coach

However, I am more worried about the effect of all these programmes on the computer when playing Games. its started to crash - possibly overheating.

how many progs should I have running and how much memory is it sensible to let them use

Processor 2.80 GHZ
1 GB Ram
160 GB Memory
2.8 Ghw Pentium R processor D
1024 Mb Ram
Windows XP professional

Reaction score
Get rid of Norton and use Kaspersky..Its a million times better..Also Napster will slow comp down on start up..You don't need all those programmes running when you start the machine..Just the basics

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Well i would remove the Phillips Media Centre, Film4, napster client and anythin g else from the startup that you dont need straight away.

Get rid of Norton as well, not just from the start menu but for good, it is crappy.

Get a free trial of Kapersky or Antivir and couple that with a free superantispyware and you are laughing.

If you are worried about games crashing then if you can upgrade your graphics card or get some more memory, both are very cheap at the moment.

Ask a Question