Media Player Classic Equalizer: SOLVED

Mark R. Blain

Media Player Classic has long been my favorite player for audio and
video. Some people don't use it only because it lacks an equalizer.
I just tripped across a way to add EQ and many other effects to MPC's
output, so I thought I'd share. If nothing else, it's fun to mess
with and free.

1) Install "ffdshow" from <http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow>.
2) Click Start | Programs | ffdshow | Audio Filter configuration.
3) Scroll the left setup window to the top and select "Codecs". Under
"Supported Codecs", click the Decoder column next to MP3 and choose
mp3lib. You just told ffdshow how to decode an mp3 file (if you ever
want to undo this, select "disabled".
4) Near the bottom of the same Codecs window, move the Merit slider to
"ffdshow default". You just told Windows to use ffdshow to decode mp3
files (to undo this, slide to "do not use"). Like any other codec, it
will run automatically when needed.
4) Click "Equalizer" in the left setup window. (if you can't see it,
look in Show/Hide Filters). Put a checkmark in its box to enable the
EQ and set the EQ sliders as desired.
5) Close the ffdshow setup window, start Media Player Classic and play
an MP3. ffdshow should appear in your system tray (right side of the
taskbar) to let you know it's now decoding the audio for MP3.
6) To change your EQ settings while playing, double-click the ffdshow
icon in the system tray. If you can't see it while mp3 is playing,
either you missed a step or the icon was turned off: check your
"tray" settings in ffdshow.

You may also find the noise reduction and reverb settings useful if
you turn them on like you did in step (4) above. I later turned on
ffdshow's decoders for ALL the file types it knows about, and I'm just
starting to explore all the video and audio tricks it can do. Granted
there are a boatload of alternatives to MPC, but I just found a way to
make my favorite even better.

Richard Steinfeld

Mark said:
Media Player Classic has long been my favorite player for audio and
video. Some people don't use it only because it lacks an equalizer.
I just tripped across a way to add EQ and many other effects to MPC's
output, so I thought I'd share. If nothing else, it's fun to mess
with and free.

3) Scroll the left setup window to the top and select "Codecs". Under
"Supported Codecs", click the Decoder column next to MP3 and choose
mp3lib. You just told ffdshow how to decode an mp3 file (if you ever
want to undo this, select "disabled".

Hi, Mark.

If I understand what you wrote, this routine will only work with MP3
files. Can you run the tweak with any other types?

Granted
there are a boatload of alternatives to MPC, but I just found a way to
make my favorite even better.

What version of MPC are you using?
I know that there's a good range of media players out there, but as far
as I know, almost none of them can work with the Real Alternative Codec
files (Quick Time too).

I've experienced some confusion regarding MPC's method of establishing
file type defaults. I often don't quite know what's going on in this
process. There's also a matter of, at least in my Real stream
experience, that the player seizes the master volume control and sets it
at half-range. Another poster wrote here that a version newer than mine
sets one of the mixer controls at zero (I forget which one).

Do you have any recommendations about these two concerns?

Thanks.

Richard

Fran

ffdshow can be used with other audio codecs, but older versions crached when
used to decode AC3. The problem might have been solved in the later
versions, not sure about that.

Bill Day

[...]

so...which version did you use? In the latest, 2020617, there is no
MP3 or mp3lib listed in the options, only MP4 , DIVx, DVD..etc...

also no 'merit slider'.....

Mark R. Blain

If I understand what you wrote, this routine will only work with MP3
files. Can you run the tweak with any other types?

WMA, AC3, FLAC, Vorbis, and PCM (.wav) formats are also listed in the
codec setup
What version of MPC are you using?
6.4.8.2 (the latest is 6.4.8.4), but ffdshow should work with any
player that does not use built-in codecs (like VLC does with video).
I know that there's a good range of media players out there, but as far
as I know, almost none of them can work with the Real Alternative Codec
files (Quick Time too).

I've experienced some confusion regarding MPC's method of establishing
file type defaults. I often don't quite know what's going on in this
process. There's also a matter of, at least in my Real stream
experience, that the player seizes the master volume control and sets it
at half-range. Another poster wrote here that a version newer than mine
sets one of the mixer controls at zero (I forget which one).

Do you have any recommendations about these two concerns?

I don't currently use Real Alternative or Quicktime Alternative,
sorry.

Mark R. Blain

so...which version did you use?

I apologize for not mentioning at the outset:
I currently use 20041012 (Oct 12 2004), the latest ALPHA, and have not
had one stability problem. The latest official release is over two
years old. Any experimental features in the alphas are clearly marked
as such, and easy to avoid.
In the latest, 2020617, there is no MP3 or mp3lib listed in the
options, only MP4 , DIVx, DVD..etc...
The main setup window showing video codecs like DVD and DIVX only
controls video. There's a separate window "Audio filter
configuration". That should also be true of older versions.
also no 'merit slider'.....
If version 20020617 didn't have that feature yet, then it should be
automatic. For those using later versions, there's one merit slider
on the Audio filter configuration window where I suggested and another
on the main (video) configuration window. You want the audio one.

Bill Day

I apologize for not mentioning at the outset:
I currently use 20041012 (Oct 12 2004), the latest ALPHA, and have not
had one stability problem. The latest official release is over two
years old. Any experimental features in the alphas are clearly marked
as such, and easy to avoid.

The main setup window showing video codecs like DVD and DIVX only
controls video. There's a separate window "Audio filter
configuration". That should also be true of older versions.

If version 20020617 didn't have that feature yet, then it should be
automatic. For those using later versions, there's one merit slider
on the Audio filter configuration window where I suggested and another
on the main (video) configuration window. You want the audio one.
ah...ok then, I'll go take a look. I'm not sure I even peeked at the
Alpha version... thanks

Bill Day

I apologize for not mentioning at the outset:
I currently use 20041012 (Oct 12 2004), the latest ALPHA, and have not
had one stability problem. The latest official release is over two
years old. Any experimental features in the alphas are clearly marked
as such, and easy to avoid.

The main setup window showing video codecs like DVD and DIVX only
controls video. There's a separate window "Audio filter
configuration". That should also be true of older versions.

If version 20020617 didn't have that feature yet, then it should be
automatic. For those using later versions, there's one merit slider
on the Audio filter configuration window where I suggested and another
on the main (video) configuration window. You want the audio one.
well....I got the newer version, and it had the features you
mention....but, I am unable to get a tray icon or a menu attached to
MPC....I checked all the boxes, clicked 'apply' and 'ok' and triple
checked all the setting and menu items I could find. I see no
indication that it is being recognized or called when MPC is opened.

I changed Windows association to MPC to play MP3 files, I re-booted
....etc...etc....that is, everything I could imagine that 'might' be
related.

Fascinating program...*grin*...it just don't wanta play with me! I
will mess with the video settings later to see if it has any effect
there......

Mark R. Blain

well....I got the newer version, and it had the features you
mention....but, I am unable to get a tray icon or a menu attached to
MPC....I checked all the boxes, clicked 'apply' and 'ok' and triple
checked all the setting and menu items I could find. I see no
indication that it is being recognized or called when MPC is opened.

I changed Windows association to MPC to play MP3 files, I re-booted
...etc...etc....that is, everything I could imagine that 'might' be
related.

Fascinating program...*grin*...it just don't wanta play with me! I
will mess with the video settings later to see if it has any effect
there......

Hmm. Try this:
Start | Programs | ffdshow | Audio Filter Configuration | Tray, Dialog
& Paths | Show Tray Icon: make sure that option is checked. I
thought that was the default. (Although it's unrelated, also turn on
"show hints" while you're there.) If Show Tray Icon was checked and
you still see no tray icon when you play an mp3, then you're right...
ffdshow's not being used: double-check Codecs and make sure it says
mp3lib next to MP3, and that the Merit Slider's on "ffdshow default".
Under Input/Output, make sure all 16,24 and 32-bit boxes are checked
(not AC3). Beyond that I'm stumped, unless it's not an mp3 file that
you're playing. Try a different mp3 file?

I haven't done a lot on the video side, although I have used ffdshow's
audio settings to help with muddy sound in old .avi and .mpg files
(after enabling all the audio and video file formats).

Bill Day

[...]

yep...been there, done ALL that. I found that 2nd place to check 'tray
icon' and looked at all the menus. I have tried 10 or 12 different
MP3s.

Ah, well...'Deus ex machina' and gremlins, too, and maybe I didn't
hold my mouth right....I will look at the possibility that it is some
quirk in my sound card.

Thanks for the answers...maybe I'll figure something out...

Joined
Nov 20, 2015
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:04:12 -0400, Bill Day wrote:

> well....I got the newer version, and it had the features you
> mention....but, I am unable to get a tray icon or a menu attached to
> MPC....I checked all the boxes, clicked 'apply' and 'ok' and triple
> checked all the setting and menu items I could find. I see no
> indication that it is being recognized or called when MPC is opened.
>
> I changed Windows association to MPC to play MP3 files, I re-booted
> ...etc...etc....that is, everything I could imagine that 'might' be
> related.
>
> Fascinating program...*grin*...it just don't wanta play with me! I
> will mess with the video settings later to see if it has any effect
> there......

Hmm. Try this:
Start | Programs | ffdshow | Audio Filter Configuration | Tray, Dialog
& Paths | Show Tray Icon: make sure that option is checked. I
thought that was the default. (Although it's unrelated, also turn on
"show hints" while you're there.) If Show Tray Icon was checked and
you still see no tray icon when you play an mp3, then you're right...
ffdshow's not being used: double-check Codecs and make sure it says
mp3lib next to MP3, and that the Merit Slider's on "ffdshow default".
Under Input/Output, make sure all 16,24 and 32-bit boxes are checked
(not AC3). Beyond that I'm stumped, unless it's not an mp3 file that
you're playing. Try a different mp3 file?

I haven't done a lot on the video side, although I have used ffdshow's
audio settings to help with muddy sound in old .avi and .mpg files
(after enabling all the audio and video file formats).

The 32 bit version and 64 bit versions are a little different to get running, firstly if you're running a 64bit OS then get the 64 bit ffdshow, and also the 64 bit media player classic.
Your problem sounds like what i experienced as i transitioned from xp to 7