ChrisJ9876

From: "Zammered" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 08/01/2003 11:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time

Is it possible & how would I map a serial port to a usb port/device?

I'm trying to use some old software to connect to a newer piece of hardware.
The hardware is a UPS that only has a usb port. The software connects via a
serial port. Both software & hardware function as they should, when hooked
into proper equipment, I just need to see if I can cfg for my application.

Thanks, JEff

Have you considered upgrading the software for your UPS? Belkin's software
supports both USB & serial, and it's free from their website. Don't now what
brand your UPS is, but try the manufacturers site.

Hessam

Hi Jeff
You can go to www.USB.org
In that web site and at the products part, you can find many devices
for converting USB to LPT or Serial port or vice versa with different
prices.

Zammered

Actually, That is the Problem. APC's Power Chute Plus doesn't support USB,
nor is it wrtitten for XP. Power Chute Business Edition supports both USB &
serial, but it doesn't have the paging/emailing capabilities like Plus.
Well, it does, but you have to be able to add reverse look ups or have
rights to Exchange but you're out of luck if you have no access to any of
this.
I just thought there was a way to mappping serial to USB like other ports.
thnks anyway.

Zammered

Actually, it's not a hardware device that I need. Essentially (on one of my
lists) I have a USB enabled UPS, and the software that will work as I need
it. The problem with the software is that it will not communicate via
serial. I thought I could map a serial port to the usb device.
I'll taek a look around there though.
Thnks, Jeff