Map Network Drive over Linksys VPN

Patrick

Using Linksys RV0 series vpn routers -
I have a functional tunnel
between to XP machines - fully patched -No SP2
Identical Hardware, Software and Configuration on each machine - simple file
sharing is enabled.
From 192.168.10.100 > I can ping 192.168.20.101 and visa versa.

I can access the highpoint raid card on either machine
from either end using remote machine's internal IP address.

I cannot map a network drive.
Start>Run "\\192.168.20.101\c$ or machine name produces only
"The network path cannot be found"
Same with using the "map network drive" wizard on right click "my computer."

I have been troubleshooting this for several days.

I am beginning to think that "some windows" service is
not running by default as is should - on both ends.

Machine 1 = 192.168.10.100
Machine 2 = 192.168.20.101
both are the same workgroup

Please enlighten me - maybe I am asking XP to do something
that it cannot do...although Linksys says different.

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Since you can ping each other I would check the firewall first. Otherwise, try this command: net view \\192.168.20.101 from 1921.68.10.100. post back with the result.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Patrick" <juspatrick58 hotmail.com> wrote in message Using Linksys RV0 series vpn routers -
I have a functional tunnel
between to XP machines - fully patched -No SP2
Identical Hardware, Software and Configuration on each machine - simple file
sharing is enabled.
From 192.168.10.100 > I can ping 192.168.20.101 and visa versa.

I can access the highpoint raid card on either machine
from either end using remote machine's internal IP address.

I cannot map a network drive.
Start>Run "\\192.168.20.101\c$ or machine name produces only
"The network path cannot be found"
Same with using the "map network drive" wizard on right click "my computer."

I have been troubleshooting this for several days.

I am beginning to think that "some windows" service is
not running by default as is should - on both ends.

Machine 1 = 192.168.10.100
Machine 2 = 192.168.20.101
both are the same workgroup

Please enlighten me - maybe I am asking XP to do something
that it cannot do...although Linksys says different.

Patrick

I have no firewall on either end.

Net view produces :
System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found

http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"Patrick" <juspatrick58 hotmail.com> wrote in message
Using Linksys RV0 series vpn routers -
I have a functional tunnel
between to XP machines - fully patched -No SP2
Identical Hardware, Software and Configuration on each machine - simple file
sharing is enabled.
From 192.168.10.100 > I can ping 192.168.20.101 and visa versa.

I can access the highpoint raid card on either machine
from either end using remote machine's internal IP address.

I cannot map a network drive.
Start>Run "\\192.168.20.101\c$ or machine name produces only
"The network path cannot be found"
Same with using the "map network drive" wizard on right click "my computer."

I have been troubleshooting this for several days.

I am beginning to think that "some windows" service is
not running by default as is should - on both ends.

Machine 1 = 192.168.10.100
Machine 2 = 192.168.20.101
both are the same workgroup

Please enlighten me - maybe I am asking XP to do something
that it cannot do...although Linksys says different.

Robert L [MS-MVP]

system error 53 is connection issue or firewall blocking the sharing. since you can ping, make sure you don't have any security software like Norton block the sharing.

System Errors System error 53 - The network path was not found. Symptom: when using net view \\ip or \\computername, you get system error 53. ...
www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Patrick" <juspatrick58 hotmail.com> wrote in message I have no firewall on either end.

Net view produces :
System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found

Since you can ping each other I would check the firewall first. Otherwise,
try this command: net view \\192.168.20.101 from 1921.68.10.100. post back
with the result.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"Patrick" <juspatrick58 hotmail.com> wrote in message
Using Linksys RV0 series vpn routers -
I have a functional tunnel
between to XP machines - fully patched -No SP2
Identical Hardware, Software and Configuration on each machine - simple file
sharing is enabled.
From 192.168.10.100 > I can ping 192.168.20.101 and visa versa.