Map drive prompts for username/password?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by Mike, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Scenario:
    Logon to Windows XP Pro with domain username and password
    (remotely - away from the LAN).
    Connect to internet via any Dial-up provider.
    Connect to LAN via VPN client.

    When trying to map a network drive to a resource the
    domain user has rights to, get invalid username and am
    prompted for username and password.

    If the domian\username and password are entered, the
    drive mapping connects. Why isn't the Windows logon name
    passed?

    With Windows 2000 and the exact same scenario, no
    username or password is prompted. Even with Windows XP
    and a broadband connection, there is no prompt.

    Why is Windows XP different with regard to Dial-up? It
    seems like Windows XP passes the Dial-up username
    ( for example) instead of passing the
    Windows logon username. How can I make Windows XP pass
    the Windows logon username like it does with Windows 2000?

    Using a batch file with NET USE /USER: is not an
    acceptable work-a-round.

    Thanks for any help with this...

    Mike, Feb 10, 2004

  2. Suppose net use /user command should cache the credentials so that you don't
    need to create batch file. Are you sure you need to use net use /user
    command each time for the connection?

    --
    For more and other information, go to http://www.chicagotech.net

    Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
    Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

    Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting on
    http://www.chicagotech.net

    Robert L [MS-MVP], Feb 10, 2004

  3. Mike

    Guest Guest

    Either from Within Windows/Map Network Drive, or from a
    batch file, the username and password is always required
    (in the scenario described).

    This does not seem to be a generic "Windows" issue.
    Something is different in Windows XP Pro whereas previous
    Windows versions did not have the issue described.

    Am I correct that Pre-XP, when mapping network drives,
    the Windows logon username and password are passed on to
    the new resource connecion? If the wording is not
    technically correct, I am certain that Windows 2000 does
    not have the problem I am experiencing with XP. And I am
    certain the user(s) are logging on with valid domain
    account usernames and passwords. Those same usernames
    and passwords are supplied when asked, and the mappings
    are then successfully made.

    Why aren't the "credentials" passed on when connected via
    Dial-up tunneling via VPN exactly as if the computer were
    tethered to the LAN? Or connected via DSL or Cable
    tunneling via VPN? Why is XP different in regard to Dial-
    up
    ?

    Guest, Feb 10, 2004
  4. Mike

    Guest Guest

    Found a reasonable solution

    Instead of using a Net use X: \\'servername'\'sharename' /user:'username' 'password' in a batch file (bad)

    Use a Net use X: \\'servername'\'sharename' /user:%username% (username is not a variable here

    This forces the logged on username to be passed along with the associated password

    Guest, Feb 12, 2004
  5. Mike,

    Thank you for posting back with the solution. That is good one.

    Robert L [MS-MVP], Feb 13, 2004