Mandriva Free 2009 64 Bit

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hmm. I already have a shock of white hair :D

WF: Thanks for the offer to d/l, I'll keep it in mind. I may consider changing ISP soon.

I'm positive I selected Uk keyboard on install but ya never know and yes, it is the US keyboard setting I have.

I couldn't find where to change the mapping, I thought that would have been easy but no, it eludes me.

I'm going to do a fresh install. If I still get problems I'm going to suspect a corrupted ISO burn although the md5sum checked out ok.

There's a new version of Suse out before the end of the month I'll definitely be trying that.

I never was fond of Mandrake/Mandriva tbh, I never had much luck with it. I've thrown all the older Mandrake distro disks away now, all except Mandriva 2007, I've kept that although as I recall it was also problematic.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You might be able to change the mapping through Control Center or I seem to remember that one of the icons bottom right of screen gets you to it.
Have you thought about putting the Mandy dvd in a drive and booting to it and trying out the Repair boot option ? Not quite sure how that works mind you, but it might save you having to do a full install.
Them extras I promised should be with you tommorow and they yhave a step by step install guide.

Who needs one of them handheld brain excercisers when you can play with penguins. :p
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh, I don't mean to come across as cynical and I'm not biased, I'm just saying as happens, is all.

It is frustrating but I am kinda enjoying it all.

The only big difference between me having 2 good working distros and having problems now is I'm using a wireless NIC and I have a more modern 64 bit hardware config.

Let's look at the positive. With Mint:

1) Good, fast Net connection.
2) Open Office worked well and read my MS 2003 Word documents.
3) Music, all file types, worked well.
4) Video files worked well.
5) All hardware was recognised.
6) My HP 7960 Photosmart printer worked well.

I will persevere. I've been messing about with Linux for nine years now, never really seriously, but this time, I hope, I'm serious.

But not tonight, I'm kinda brain dead atm.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thats the spirit. Next step is to wean you of COD 5 and get your competetive juices flowwing by playing the challenging Tux Racer.

laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Thats the spirit. Next step is to wean you of COD 5 and get your competetive juices flowwing by playing the challenging Tux Racer.

laughingsmiley.gif

Funnily enough just completed single player CoD_5 this evening. Short but very very good, imo. Multiplayer is fine too, much better than CoD_4, imo, but it seems I'm almost alone with this viewpoint, most prefer CoD_4. And I'm still addicted to C0D_2 multiplayer, it's me fave game, really.

Also have Fallout 3, Far Cry 2 to play through. And Grid. And, er, still haven't finished Assassin's Creed, Oblivion Elder Scrolls IV and a few others.

Only game I have that I know will work in Linux is UT2003. I know Quake IV and Doom III work in Linux but I sold them after I finished them, both not really worthy of a replay imo, both kinda monotonous and not a patch on their respective predecessors.

Yep, this is a Linux thread, I managed to mention Linux in the last paragraph :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hur hur hur ;)

I have played Tux Racer and...... wait for it...... it's crap :D

Chuckie Egg is better, to name just one.

Two disks arrived from you today, I have yet to look at them but thank you.

I looked at Mint's site and they say V6 RC1 Gnome Beta is stable, it just needs a few packages updating to make it an official release, so I've given up on Mint V5 KDE and am currently d/l Mint 6.

What I'm really looking forward to though is PC Linux OS 2009, it ain't finished yet.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Crap but fun :D

I'm still trying to find time to load Mandy. Maybee this weekend. Hmmm maybe.
nod.gif

Ask a Question