Mandriva Free 2009 64 Bit

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
I got the 2009 Free Mandriva 64 it downloaded ok but I ain't been in a position to try it out. Will hopefully try this weekend. I'll keep you posted.

:)

I thought you were already running it? :confused:

Have you tried the md5 sum verification?

All mine failed. I could burn the ISO but what's the point? All I'd have is a possibly fubarred distro wasting a blank DVD.

And I just installed the Nvidia drivers to Mint 5 and it's now completely knackered, it won't start.

I'm beginning to think Linux and I were never meant to share the same bed.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Nah was running 2008 and it was pretty darn good. Changed setups and not quite finished yet. Downloaded 2009 when it first came out but life caught up with me and only now have the time to play again.

I think that link I gave should have all the info you need for the drivers issue

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=13914

an this

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia

Just burnt a dvd for you will post tomorrow.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Did you get that dvd flops ?

:)

Yes I did. Forgive my momentary lack of grace for not informing you sooner, most unlike me :blush:

It arrived Thursday I think. I have been quite busy up until yesterday evening where all I done was chill and browsed forums so have not had a chance to try it yet.

I'm still having problems with Mint (which is Ubuntu based). I have managed to install the libdvdcss package to enable DVD plyback but I still can't play DVD's. It's possible I have to install the Nvidia drivers to do that.

However, have tried several methods to install video drivers all of which have failed. I can't seem to shut down X for some reason during install.

I also have PC Linux OS 2008 Gnome loaded on another disk but haven't attempted to install either libdvdcss or Nvidia drivers yet.

A frustrating business for sure.

Thank you again for the disc, it's apreciated :)

It also would have been apreciated had you PM'ed me asking whether I received it or not :blush:

;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Wasn't hustling mate as I know its a busy time of year. Thought it might have got lost in the post is all.

For your Ubuntu driver issue look here at me Edubuntu and Nvidia drivers thread,

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3563283.php

Got a full manual for the Mandy, its for the 2008 but it should help you out a great deal as even I can follow what it is saying. You probably know a lot of the stuff it has but it is always good to refresh the old grey cells.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Mandriva sucks!! I got rid of that filth get yourself redhat's finest= fedora! No more jibberish linux commands :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99 said:
Mandriva sucks!! I got rid of that filth get yourself redhat's finest= fedora! No more jibberish linux commands :)

Listen up you, there really is no need to take such an agressive and abusive approach.

You can discuss topics in a civilised manner so do so.

Any more posts like that and I'll delete it.

Reaction score
Well I wasn't trying to be aggressive or abusive if I wanted to do that I would use offensive English.

I like Fedora the most because it was the first distro I ever installed always got a special place in my heart.
I couldn't get Mandriva to work on my wireless, had a few other problems that's why I didn't like it that much.

So please keep your handbags down but feel free to delete my post.

Reaction score
psd99 said:
Well I wasn't trying to be aggressive or abusive if I wanted to do that I would use offensive English.
One doesn't need to use offensive English for it to be aggressive or to have an abbusive approach...Mearly the way a sentance is worded can be agressive/offensive or abbusive...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99, if you were fond of a particular piece of software and somebody came along, dissed it, called it filth then insisted they use other software merely because you liked it, would you not feel irritated?

I hear what you're saying, it's the way you're saying it that's disagreeable. There are ways and means of getting your point across, the way you worded that post could rub somebody up the wrong way.

Luckily we all know you well here but other folk may well take offence. I'm here to keep the peace, all I'm asking is that you use a little protocol when you post, I'm not attempting to censor you or anything, last thing I'd want to do.

All I'm asking is to use a little common sense mate, ok?

PS: I just typed that within Linux Mint, but I'm still trying to get Nvidia drivers installed:

Selecting previously deselected package gedit.
Unpacking gedit (from .../gedit_2.22.3-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
Setting up gedit-common (2.22.3-0ubuntu1) ...

Setting up libgtksourceview2.0-common (2.2.2-0ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libgtksourceview2.0-0 (2.2.2-0ubuntu1) ...

Setting up python-gtksourceview2 (2.2.0-0ubuntu2) ...

Setting up gedit (2.22.3-0ubuntu1) ...

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Andromeda tony # gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
No protocol specified
cannot open display:
Run 'gedit --help' to see a full list of available command line options.
Andromeda tony # sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
No protocol specified
cannot open display:
Andromeda tony #

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just installed Mandriva 64 bit 2009. this one is not for me I'm afraid.

I can't get online, it doesn't recognise my Linksys wireless NIC and is asking me to PAY for some firmware. I mean, get outta here, lol

It will not open my other hard drives either.

PC Linux OS 2008 Gnome opens hard drives but I can't get online with that either.

So far Linux Mint is the only one that I can get online with. It's fast and everything works so far except DVD playback and I'm working on that.

Mint is based on Ubuntu.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
PS: I just typed that within Linux Mint, but I'm still trying to get Nvidia drivers installed:

Selecting previously deselected package gedit.
Unpacking gedit (from .../gedit_2.22.3-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
Setting up gedit-common (2.22.3-0ubuntu1) ...

Setting up libgtksourceview2.0-common (2.2.2-0ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libgtksourceview2.0-0 (2.2.2-0ubuntu1) ...

Setting up python-gtksourceview2 (2.2.0-0ubuntu2) ...

Setting up gedit (2.22.3-0ubuntu1) ...

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Andromeda tony # gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
No protocol specified
cannot open display:
Andromeda tony # sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
No protocol specified
cannot open display:
Andromeda tony #

1. Are you using the KDE "flavour" of Mint? Gedit is the default GNOME text editor, and while there is nothing wrong in installing it, "Mint KDE" comes with Kwrite (and possibly Kate as well). Both are "basic" text editors... just replace "gedit" with "kwrite" (or "kate") in a command.

2. This ought to work for starters: Open a new terminal session - do NOT become root:
Code:
tony@andromeda:~$
Do:
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

3. But... WHY OH WHY?

If your goal is "just" to install working proprietary Nvidia drivers [not the latest and greatest], why don't you use the Restricted Drivers Manager - no command line stuff required:

24yj2.jpg

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've since realised 'gedit' is the gnome editor, apparently I need to use 'kedit' or one of the suggestions you supplied above, oops :blush:

I originally tried to shut down X by using sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop but it wouldn't work.

So I installed the Nvidia drivers (177.82) by using sudo sh NVIDIA* --no-x-check

This appeared to work but it messed up my xconfig file and the distro wouldn't boot.

I then selected safe mode on boot, selected 'repair' and it self-repaired.

My next step was to use the Envy installation tool within Mint and again it appeared to install the drivers but it hasn't.

Today I will attempt to edit the xconfig file and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your help, apreciate it :)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
OK... now that we know you're using KDE:

EITHER:
Code:
kdesudo kwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf
(give USER password)

OR:
Code:
kdesu kwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf
(give ROOT password)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Edubuntu is based on Ubuntu. Does my walkthrough not help at all ?? :confused::confused:

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3563283.php

user.gif

I hadn't looked at that tbh but had gone through a procedure very similar.

However, as I pointed out above, I couldn't close X using the command you used, I don't know why.

As I also pointed out above, I then tried other means of installing, again without success.

I'm still baffled as to why Mandriva 64 Bit 2009 won't read my other hard drives. They're formatted in NTFS and every other Linux distro I've tried, inc Mint, has no problem opening them or using the stored files, be they movie clips, music or Office documents.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Can't offer any more tips for the Nvidia prob. Mandriva 2008 saw all the drives I had and any portable ones aswell. They did not show up on the desktop and not always in the start bar. They showed up in the folder tree.
May be you need to get a bit of software from the repositories, a nfts drive seeing software. Though I thought that seeing all drives for linux and windows was built into the core of the os already. Other than that I'm stumped.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for input Abarb :thumb:

I managed to get into script editor, made changes best I could, although keyboard mapping is wrong, somehow, but it didn't work.

Installed proprietry drivers from adept manager thingies, seemed to go ok but on reboot X wouldn't start.

Rebooted, selected safe mode, repaired X, it started. Drivers still not installed, no DVD playback.

I have downloaded Fedora V10.0 64 Bit, although the Fedora people don't supply md5 checksums I burnt the DVD from the iso anyway. I may or may not try it, I am sincerely getting the pox with this.

Hard to believe I've had PC Linux OS 2007 (32 Bit) and Suse V9.0 or 10, can't remember, working perfectly in every way at one time.

Maybe I should have stuck with Suse.

Still, new Suse coming out soon, maybe I'll try that.

Have downloaded so much stuff recently had a warning from my ISP that I'd used 53% of my monthly bandwidth allowance and it's only the 8th.

As much as I hate Microsoft I'm beginning to understand why people favour Windows. For all it's Orwellian and dictatorial overtones, at least it works.

Colour me frustrated.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I sent you the Mandriva manual. Keyboard is probably set to US as this is the default, sounds like you missed out the keyboard setting at install. You can change that once you have the desktop.

Had me tearing me hair out when I started to be a penguin, at least you know what a command line is. :D

With the command line instructions it can be difficult to spot where to put the spaces in the command, misss one out and it cocks things up. That might be what is causing the problemm with your graphics install.

Whatever you do , don't forget that it is meant to be fun. You always have a Windows setup to use for day to day so you ain't got any problems. Also think of it like a pc puzzle game that will give you hours of enjoyment yet cost you nothing but a few grey hairs.
laughingsmiley.gif

Penguins the greatest puzzle on the planet :D
laughingsmiley.gif

Ask a Question