Managing Identities

Marcelo - MP 09June2008

Just changed notebook and move to Windows Vista and from Outlook express to
Windows mail.

Tool Managing Identities Disapear (comment from Help to use another account)
- It is not the same meaning, that tool was very helpful, I think who wrote
the program did not notice that tool was not only used for different people
or accounts, but IT WAS A VERY GOOD TOOL FOR CLASSIFYING OUR OWN MAILS
DIVIDED PER YEAR AND SO USING THE SAME USER ACCOUNT.

See comments below please:

1) I (and I could say we because many many colleagues do the same) use to
separate my own mails per year, each year with a different identity (e.g.
myname_2007, myname_2008).

2) At the end of each year the previous identity was saved as it was from
Dec 31, and a new identity was created for the other year. If I wanted to
switch from one to other I just clicked managing identity and change to the
one at the respective year. Very easy.

3) If I wanted to back-up all e-mails folders from that year I just copy and
save that identity file from that respective year. These files are very large
because contain all e-mails and folders from that year. (Imagine if we keep
adding year by year all mails in the same identity, HOW BIG THIS FILE TURNS
TO BE)

My e-mail account is the same, so I do not want to creat a new account or a
new mail, but NOW WITH WINDOWS VISTA:

4) The only way to import to my own account or identity now is importing and
getting the imported file in the same identity I am using now, what again
makes the current identity very huge in size, what make back-up much more
difficult and risky (if anything bad happens we loose all years messages);
that is what I am doing now to get solve this problem and make me able to
access previous years e-mails, and I have to created a new folder for each
previous years containing all folders from that year.

If this questions is well understood by Microsoft, I would suggest the
company to solve the problem as soon as possible and help us to fix this
problem creating again the managing identity in the Windows mail program.

I look forward to hear from you,

Marcelo

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

"Marcelo - MP 09June2008" <Marcelo - MP
[...]

Don't expect any improvements for Windows Mail.

Five possibilities:

1. Use different Windows Users

2. Make new folders and make a message rule like this:

Apply this rule after the message arrives
Where the message is from the mail.fjsmjs.com account
Move it to the fjsmjs folder
and Stop processing more rules

3. Use Windows Live Mail which has separate folders for each account:
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

4. Buy WMIDs http://www.oehelp.com/WMIDs/Default.aspx

5. Enable the Account column in the Inbox.