    The Primary HD crushed, I took it out and moved the Slave in its place,
    while seting the jamper on the Slave into "Master or single drive" position.

    Now how do I make this HD bootable?

    aa, Sep 8, 2007

  2. aa

    aa Guest

    I forgot to mention that when I boot from Partition Magic rescue diskette or
    from Boot Magic Rescue diskette, this disk is shown as Active Primary
    bootable yet it would not boot saying that its configuration is wrong

    aa, Sep 8, 2007

  3. aa

    aa Guest

    What exactly do you expect to repair? Which particular simple repair
    operation would you suggest?
    This HD has not been damaged and I still can read drom it.
    But I guess to be bootable it needs something like Master boot record which
    I guess, never been there as it was a slave drive.

    Which repair operation will create or restore a Master boot record?

    "Gary Chanson" <> ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌ/ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌÁ × ÎÏ×ÏÓÔÑÈ
    ÓÌÅÄÕÀÝÅÅ: news:...

    aa, Sep 8, 2007
  4. aa

    aa Guest

    Thanks.
    What about NTLDR, boot.ini etc ?
    As I never booted from this HD as it was slave, then these files are removed
    together with the faulty master disk. If so I need to somehow restore them?

    aa, Sep 8, 2007
  5. aa

    aa Guest

    fdisk /mbr did not help. Id does no send any messages - just pause for a
    second and returns the prompt - is it supposed to be like this?
    BTW an attempt to boot says that w2k could not start because of a computer
    hardware config problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check
    boot path and disk hardware. So it somehow knows that I want to load w2k
    which should mean that the boot sector is OK?

    aa, Sep 8, 2007
  6. aa

    Gary Chanson Guest

    Gary Chanson, Sep 8, 2007
  7. aa

    aa Guest

    fixboot fixmbr did not help either.
    My installation appeared to be on letter H drive and fixboot said that it
    will write boot sectors on C - I confirmed
    fixmbr warned that my existing MBR is unusual and it will rewrite it which
    might result in some partitions will become invisible - I confirmed
    Re-booted - same message about HD config problem.

    aa, Sep 8, 2007
  8. aa

    aa Guest

    > I was under the impression that your second disk had a fully
    > operating version of Win2000, which used to run off drive C:.
    > If this is not the case then your best bet is a complete
    > reload of Windows 2000, followed by a reload of all
    > applications. Remember to back up your important data
    > files first.

    I do not remember exactly. It might be both ways.
    By reload you mean format and unstall anew?
    So if it was not a fully o perating version of Win2000, which used to run
    off drive C, then you suggest scap it and reinstall
    If it is a fully operating version of Win2000, which used to run off drive
    C - when what can be done?

    aa, Sep 8, 2007
  9. aa

    aa Guest

    Just to exclude some stupid errors. To make sure that the HD is correctly
    connected. I have two sockets on the motherboard, next to one another for
    those flat ribbon cables. One socket is blue, the other one is black.
    How shall I tell which one is for the master HD?
    Also each ribbon has one connector at the end and another connector in the
    middle - does it matter whether the master HD is connected to the center of
    the ribbon or to its end?

    aa, Sep 8, 2007
  10. aa

    aa Guest

    > If you don't remember which drive letter you had for
    > Windows 2000 and if you used the inbuilt Windows
    > boot loader then you can bet that your drive letter was
    > NOT the letter C:. You now have two options:
    > - Ask an expert in such matters to physically assist you.
    > This is too complex to be resolved in a newsgroup.
    > - Scrap the lot and start afresh.

    Just as a last hope before I scrap it - suppose it IS letter C. What would
    be the options?

    aa, Sep 8, 2007
  11. aa

    Gary Chanson Guest

    "aa" <> wrote in message
    > What exactly do you expect to repair? Which particular simple repair
    > operation would you suggest?
    > This HD has not been damaged and I still can read drom it.
    > But I guess to be bootable it needs something like Master boot record which
    > I guess, never been there as it was a slave drive.
    >
    > Which repair operation will create or restore a Master boot record?

    I don't have enough information to know what is missing.

    A simple repair operation will check to make sure that all of the system
    files are intact and will check various things like boot parameters. This
    operation is one of the first things that the Win2K setup program offers. I'm
    not sure where (if at all) it appears in the XP setup.

    A full repair install will fix almost anything including the master boot
    record. This operation is offered near the end of setup, when it detects a

    If all you need to fix is the master boot record and/or the boot
    configuration files, run the setup CD and launch the repair console. In the
    repair console, execute FIXMBR and FIXBOOT.

    Gary Chanson, Sep 8, 2007

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Sep 8, 2007
  13. aa

    Paul Randall Guest

    What kind of a repair install operation will fix the drive letter in all the
    paths stored in the registry? Originally this drive had a different drive
    letter, didn't it?

    -Paul Randall

    Paul Randall, Sep 8, 2007
  14. aa

    aa Guest

    That is probably true, but before seeking remedies I would like to see what
    exactly the problem is.
    Is it faulty boot sector or MBR or letter mapping or else?
    BTW fixmbr seem not to change the MBR becase dispite a message that it
    successfully changed the MBR, when I run it again it again says that the
    existong MBR is a nonstandard one

    "Gary Chanson" <> ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌ/ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌÁ × ÎÏ×ÏÓÔÑÈ
    ÓÌÅÄÕÀÝÅÅ: news:...

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I was under the impression that your second disk had a fully
    > > operating version of Win2000, which used to run off drive C:.
    > > If this is not the case then your best bet is a complete
    > > reload of Windows 2000, followed by a reload of all
    > > applications. Remember to back up your important data
    > > files first.

    > I think you're right. It sounds like this system is too much of a

    mess
    > for him to clean up himself, even with all of the help we can give. Even

    for

    aa, Sep 8, 2007
  15. aa

    aa Guest

    thanks, will try tomorrow

    aa, Sep 8, 2007

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Sep 8, 2007

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Sep 8, 2007
  18. aa

    Gary Chanson Guest

    A repair install will fix the system paths, but it won't fix all of the
    paths associated with installed programs. Some third-party utilities will fix
    a lot of these problems, but probably not all of them (and will probably break
    some things in the process).

    Gary Chanson, Sep 8, 2007
  19. aa

    aa Guest

    > Rather than mucking around with boot sectors etc, boot
    > the machine with a WinXP boot diskette and see what
    > you get.
    > - Format a floppy disk on some other WinXP/2000 PC.
    > Don't do it on a Win9x PC - it won't work.

    Does XP/w2k automatically format a diskette as a bootable one? I recall that
    to make a diskette bootable a special command has to be used but do not
    remember which particular one

    aa, Sep 8, 2007
  20. aa

    Gary Chanson Guest