Major Trouble at work

Reaction score
I'll explain this in basic details.

I logged some claim for overtime through the internal work system. However, I had not worked any of those hours.

i did not think they would get authorised anyway.

They did.

Manager phones me this week, and wants to know why I did it and that he is going to get in a lot of trouble for it as well.

He went into work today.

Im expected in tomorrow. I got a feeling I'm going to get pulled into a meeting, possibly suspended whilst they investigate this matter.

I don't know why I did it. It was extremely daft and stupid and am seriously regretting it now.

I haven't even touched the money. I can give it all back.

Do you think I should go in and resign or wait to be sacked?

Reaction score
I would like to say you deserve what you get then, but i'm about giving people a chance..Try explain yourself, although I don't know how you are going to explain yourself out of this..
Take it on the chin, what you did was wrong...:wall:

Reaction score
I were an employer, if I employed you and you did that to me this is what I would expect you to do? Answer my questions with all honesty before I make my decision.

[1] Why did you make a false claim?

[2] What did you hope to achieve by doing so?

[3] Are you happy and content with your employment?

[4] Do you think you are a reliable and trustworthy employee?

[5] Have you a problem that would/could be resolved with the extra monies?
[6] Have you been harassed in any way?
Now think on what I have written and give me your answers.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Has your manager spoken to them yet????

If not then get a hold off him and tell them it was a plan to see how vulnerable the pay system was.

If he has then just tell them it was your idea????

Reaction score
How can they prove that it was you that did it? There is a chance someone could have signed in as you or whatever to get back at you for something.

IF there is no other way of them proving you did this act like you have no knowledge of this at all.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
psd99 said:
IF there is no other way of them proving you did this act like you have no knowledge of this at all.

Waynos_Face said:
If not then get a hold off him and tell them it was a plan to see how vulnerable the pay system was.

Lying about it would only make the problem worse though - and would make up the employers mind about the course of action. There's going to be a clear enough audit trail (beyond reasonable doubt anyway), so it's a good time to be honest about what happened ;)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
You've got to be TOTALLY honest about everything that's happened. What's done is done and you will have to face the consequences. By being honest you MIGHT get away with a reprimand but if you start lying and complicate matters further then your chances of being kept on will be reduced enormously.

Honesty is always the best policy.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Look on the bright side. The dole payments have gone up to about £ 55 a week.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
BourneSupreme said:
Do you think I should go in and resign or wait to be sacked?
Depends on how you want to put it in your next job application!
Resigning is the graceful way out, being sacked will not help you get another job quickly!
Stupid thing to do, if your record is clean up to now you might get away with a final written warning.
But your company are very unlikely to trust you from now on!!

Reaction score
My manager had a meeting on Thursday where presumably he explained his version of events.

What is worrying me now is the fact that he has not phoned me since that day and nobody has from the company.

Reaction score
itsme said:
I were an employer, if I employed you and you did that to me this is what I would expect you to do? Answer my questions with all honesty before I make my decision.

[1] Why did you make a false claim?

Honestly, I don't know. At first, I thought I would send it to the manager, so when he looks at it, he'll reject it out of annoyance.

I really don't know. I was feeling really down that day and honestly, I still can't believe I did it.

[2] What did you hope to achieve by doing so?

I don't know.

[3] Are you happy and content with your employment?

Yes

[4] Do you think you are a reliable and trustworthy employee?

Yes. Although this behaviour would suggest otherwise

[5] Have you a problem that would/could be resolved with the extra monies?

Yes
[6] Have you been harassed in any way?

at work, no.
Now think on what I have written and give me your answers.

I wish I had not done this now. I feel so stupid and idiotic

Reaction score
Ok in my opinion you have answered in all honesty.

This would be my final decision.

As I understand it you have a problem possibly financial to an extreme, you are happy with you employment, you should therefore in the future leave you problems at home? If you have a need for advice confide in the management and stress exactly what and how you feel, don’t be too hasty in thinking the problems will go away? Talk about it even to a family member, work mate [someone you can trust].

You would be given a written warning.

No dismissal as you have been very truthful in this matter.

And remember what I have advised and adhere to what I have said.
And good luck.

Reaction score
I went into work today mate and nobody pulled me up on anything, which I find odd.

Now, my manager is due in tomorrow. I got a feeling he will have words with me.

Or, if they are investigating this whole issue, presumably, he will not have a word with me but somebody else will

Reaction score
Suggest you wait to see what happens.
Explain it was a moment of madness and not something you would do again.
You may get lucky & they decide to keep you on or you might get sacked.
Either way hope you have learnt that honesty is the best policy at work!

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
This really is a case of Gross Misconduct, where virtually all companies would have no option....but there is a chance you have, albiet slight.

You really, really need to be honest and tell them everything , Tell them you enjoy working there and why , tell them you have not spent the money, tell them you can be trusted and deserve to be given another chance. Even offer to work the hours you clocked Free as well as giving back the money.

If you do this you may may just get away with it.

You have been very brave to tell us all , so i hope some of the advice works for you .

Good Luck :thumb:

I went into work today mate and nobody pulled me up on anything, which I find odd.

Now, my manager is due in tomorrow. I got a feeling he will have words with me.

Or, if they are investigating this whole issue, presumably, he will not have a word with me but somebody else will

Really , i find that odd, you should have been suspended straight away while investigations took place.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The most peculiar thing happened today.

My manager was in but refused to acknowledge me. He was at his screen all day printing stuff off and chatting to another manager who was busy preparing notes etc.

I then saw him take another manager into a room and I clicked straightaway they were going to do a factfind on me.

Therefore, they are probably going to ask me what happened etc.

However, I found my managers attitude insulting and Have a good mind to ring his manager and say I made a mistake, and as i said you can take the money back or not pay me for the work I have been doing for the last 7 weeks as its probably equivalent to that and just resign.

Reaction score
Well I reckon if they wanted to get rid of you they probably should have by now. I don't see the point in suspending you if they have already let you work today.

How is your relationship with your manager in general?

Reaction score
BourneSupreme said:
However, I found my managers attitude insulting

When I first read this post, I thought shame, the bloke probably never meant to do it, and it was just a really stupid ,istake and I belive everybody deserves a fare chance...
NOw after reading this last post by you, I rea its probably equivelant to 7 weeks..

So let me get this righ, you made a fraudualant claim for 7 weeks overtime and you have the chhek to find the managers attitude to be insulting..?
Some cheek, in this case you are the one in the worng you have no righ to feel anything or find anything insulting...

Ask a Question