Mail from myself??

Reaction score
yeah its me again

same stuff with my mail but only - I recieved mail from myself which i did not send.
the "from" box has my email address on it - as well as the "to" box

- both the same - addressed to me - but only when i really send mail to myself it shows my name...

the title said Reminder; fathers day is sunday...

why am i recieving mail from "myself" - it dosent say anything in the sent folder - so whats going on? does that mean its hacked or not...?

besides that i got similar bulk mail about registered mailing subscriptions - only you cant really unsubscribe...

is this just some different form of spam or is my e mail hacked? -please, if you can, explain how i got that mail from "myself"

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
You have not been hacked - its just that someone has 'spoofed' your email address to disguise where it has come from.

This is a common form of spamming method and as such nothing to worry about as regards your security.

Also never reply to these mails or try to 'unsubscribe' as it just tells them that your email address exists and is active - consider using something such as Mailwasher to 'bounce' this mail back as if you don't exist.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Also never reply to these mails or try to 'unsubscribe' as it just tells them that your email address exists and is active - consider using something such as Mailwasher to 'bounce' this mail back as if you don't exist.

I find Mailwasher very good for this sort of thing. And it's a free download.

Reaction score
VBS.Sorpe.B@mm is a mass-mailing worm that sends itself to the email addresses gathered from the files on an infected computer. The worm also disables various system utilities including the Registry Editor and Microsoft Notepad.

Removal:

Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
Update the virus definitions.
Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as VBS.Sorpe.B@mm.
Restore the Registry Editor.
Delete the value that was added to the registry.
Delete the Web sites added to the Internet Explorer Favorites menu.

For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.

1. To disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP)
If you are running Windows Me or Windows XP, we recommend that you temporarily turn off System Restore. Windows Me/XP uses this feature, which is enabled by default, to restore the files on your computer in case they become damaged. If a virus, worm, or Trojan infects a computer, System Restore may back up the virus, worm, or Trojan on the computer.

Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has the potential of restoring an infected file on your computer, even after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations.

Also, a virus scan may detect a threat in the System Restore folder even though you have removed the threat.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Nishikanth, thanks for the info about the mass mailing worm - however I don't believe it is the cause of this here ;)

Ask a Question