macro

gearhead

I have an excel file with 52,560 lines in it. Each line in the
"energy" column represents energy produced in a ten-minute period.
Over the course of a year that's 52,560 ten-minute periods.
I need to get energy produced in hourly periods. In other words, add
the entries in the "energy" column in groups of six, making a new set
of 8,760 "energy" quantities, one entry for each hour in the year.
How would I do that?

gearhead

Thanks, Jim, it worked. After I used your macro I realized I needed
the average instead, so I changed it to average. It took much longer
for the computer to do the averaging calculations. Anyway it did, and
now I have the problem that I can't do any arithmetic operations on
the resulting entries. Apparently they are in the form of an
equation, not a number. Which is maybe why it takes the document so
long to load now. But I need to "solidify," so to speak, the entries
in that column and turn them into hard numbers. That's the only way I
know how to put it. Can you help out?
Mike

Jim Cone

For clarification, what I provided is a formula not a macro.
To replace formulas with their results...
Select the data
Right-click (any part of the selection) and choose "Copy" on the popup menu
Right-click (any part of the selection) again and choose "Paste Special"
Checkmark "Values" on the dialog displayed and click Ok.
Press the Esc key once.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"gearhead" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
Thanks, Jim, it worked. After I used your macro I realized I needed
the average instead, so I changed it to average. It took much longer
for the computer to do the averaging calculations. Anyway it did, and
now I have the problem that I can't do any arithmetic operations on
the resulting entries. Apparently they are in the form of an
equation, not a number. Which is maybe why it takes the document so
long to load now. But I need to "solidify," so to speak, the entries
in that column and turn them into hard numbers. That's the only way I
know how to put it. Can you help out?
Mike

gearhead

Thank you.