Mac connecting to Windows Server 2003

Brian Victory

My MAC G4 sees my domain and will connect using remotely,
but if I try to connect so I can actually use the Server
Drives for my data storage I get an error message -5000
or -5002 MAC tells me it is a windows problem? HElp.

William M. Smith

My MAC G4 sees my domain and will connect using remotely,
but if I try to connect so I can actually use the Server
Drives for my data storage I get an error message -5000
or -5002 MAC tells me it is a windows problem? HElp.

Hi Brian!

If you're connecting to the server using SMB, then your problem is likely to
be the new default security setting that is requiring digitally signed
communications.

This article on Microsoft's website does not specifically mention this as a
Mac problem, but the "workaround" does provide the solution for this
particular problem http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=811497

Hope this helps! bill

Jim

Brian Victory said:
My MAC G4 sees my domain and will connect using remotely,
but if I try to connect so I can actually use the Server
Drives for my data storage I get an error message -5000
or -5002 MAC tells me it is a windows problem? HElp.

Brian,

I'm having the same problem. According to Appe the -5002 error
indicates a bad UAM volume. I tried deleting the volume to no avail.
Next I am going to uninstall and the reinstall SFM. I will let you
know what happens.

- Jim Horst

Jim

Brian,

I'm having the same problem. According to Appe the -5002 error
indicates a bad UAM volume. I tried deleting the volume to no avail.
Next I am going to uninstall and the reinstall SFM. I will let you
know what happens.

- Jim Horst

Update,

Tried a number of things from unistalling and reinstalling SFM to
deleting the UAM share. No joy.

I also looked at William's fix and that doesn't apply. I can log in
from the Macs using SMB and connect no problem. The problem arises
when I try to connect via Appletalk. Using SMB would be OK if we only
needed to transfer data from Mac to PC but we need to use this server
to store Mac data and SMB doesn't work for resource fork intensive
files like fonts.

I may have to resort to nuking the Windows 2003 installation and
installing Windows 2000.

- Jim

jim Thanks for your input. I am still experiencing the
same problem. I am wondering if the user/computer
licensing is the issue? What do think?

Brian
(e-mail address removed) (Jim) wrote in message
wrote in message [email protected]>...

Stever

Jim said:
Update,

Tried a number of things from unistalling and reinstalling SFM to
deleting the UAM share. No joy.

I also looked at William's fix and that doesn't apply. I can log in
from the Macs using SMB and connect no problem. The problem arises
when I try to connect via Appletalk. Using SMB would be OK if we only
needed to transfer data from Mac to PC but we need to use this server
to store Mac data and SMB doesn't work for resource fork intensive
files like fonts.

I may have to resort to nuking the Windows 2003 installation and
installing Windows 2000.

- Jim
==========================

Hey Jim,

I was discussing your issue with a collegue last night and he said it
sounded exactly like a problem he'd come across before. Below is basically
what he said. I honestly have no idea if this will work, but my friend is
an accomplished Mac/PC consultant and knows what he's doing (I'm an IT Mgr
with 10+ yrs of experience and would know if he's feeding me bull).
Regardless, below are his comments. Hope this helps!

-Stever

-----[begin comments]-----
The problem here is that this guy didn't set his server up using the proper
NetInfo settings. He is using things in a local database only and isn't
serving his NetInfo as a Master Server. I made the same error on my own
server. He has to trash his install and start over making the correct choice
when he gets to the appropriate screen. After that, he'll have a lot more
joy.
-----[end comments]-----