Windows Vista Low Resources

Reaction score
I have been told my resources are low in Vista Home Premium 32 bit. Suggestion was to either put to manual operation programs running in the background (ie Diskkeeper & Carbonite) or buy 2 new sticks.

Where in the Device Manager can I find the amount my computer currently has.

Reaction score
Go to start/controlpanel/system and you should find out what you've got, more or less. In there should have everything, i think.

Zzzzz

Reaction score
Looks like we posted at the same time.

On April 29, I installed IE8. Knew some folks in another fourm were having troubles with it, but I wanted to give it a try.
It seemed that my puter started running slow again.
Posted a topic. It was suggested that an RA be done because it could be something else besides IE8.
I know and completely trust this person, so an RA we did. She looked at several things including the processes and performance of the Task Master. Her opinion was that something(s) was running in the background. Diskeeper, Carbonite, and a backup service from Cox were the only 3 things I can remember. So, I put Diskeeper on manual and deleted Carbonite 'cause it's subscription was almost up.

Don't need help in the Device Manager, but did a right click on Control Panel,System. I have 2.00GB memory (ram). Looks like I did upgrade the memory from a 1014MB in the past. Have had puter since 07.

Does this info help?

Vista Home Premium
Spyware Blaster
WinPatrol Plus
Avast!
2.00GB of RAM
32-bit Operating System
Cable

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Sheyenne,

To determine which programs are using the most memory, bring up Task Manager (right-click on the taskbar and then click on "Task Manager.")

Click on the "Processes" tab to bring up a list of all the programs that are running. The amount of memory usage is shown for each one. (You can sort them into order by clicking on the "Memory (Private Working Set)" tab. (You probably know this already, but doesn't hurt to check the basics :) )

If you are suspecting a possible problem with your memory, Vista has its own built-in Memory Diagnostic Tool. There is a clear, "how-to" article LINK HERE with helpful screenshots.

Windows will display test results after it re-starts (the article says) which might give you a better insight into whether there is any problem.

Please note Sheyenne, I have not used this tool myself, so I cannot say whether it takes up much time. I'm sure one of the Techs here will be able to advise on that.
:nod:

Edit: Another thought which comes to mind, would be to download a free programme called SIW (System Information for Windows) HERE, which will show you how much Physical Memory you have free, what the Memory Load is and tell you almost anything else you would need to know about your PC. A few of us use it here.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
err, it is a common "bug" with some PCs ... try this;

From a Command Prompt window, run the following ...

type cmd in the Start menu Search box, right-click the Cmd.exe shortcut in the list, and then choose Run As Administrator

then type ...

regsvr32 actxprxy.dll

... there is a space there, press enter.

then, type the word exit and press enter, reboot the PC

That re-registers the ActiveX Interface Marshaling Library, an obscure DLL that most people (even Microsoft experts :nod: ) had never heard about. :thumb:

This is also a "bug" in Windows 7 ... :lol:

Reaction score
Hi,
The windows diagnostic memory test takes about 15 mins to complete. You should go into conrol panel/ performance advance settings and have a nose around. In here you can find a plethora of system info including reports that can tell you if there are system conflicts or other events happening which will impact your pc's performance...its a cool set of tools for diagnostic stuff.
Zzzzz

Reaction score
You should go into conrol panel/ performance advance settings and have a nose around. In here you can find a plethora of system info including reports that can tell you if there are system conflicts or other events happening which will impact your pc's performance

Did thatGot two errors.
1) Warning: The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention. Scenerio. The Desktop Window Manager responsiveness had degraded.
2) 3 drivers are acting up today - This driver responded slower than expected to the resume request while servicing this device.

So will try the thing Muckshifter suggested, check out the pc's performance again, then go on to the Diagnostic Memory test. Yes, I've done a system restore.

Reaction score
Keep trying

Hi Sheyenne,

It probably is the same test as Top cat suggested. I also checked out your specs and was then thinking how many plug in sticks and cards are you using and maybe you are over taxing your system....just a hunch as they say.
Also i should mention that if mucks suggests something you should probably take his word as bible and not listen to me LOL....he would be what i call a heavy hitter pc wise....whereas i'm only a titch.LOL again. No seriously i'm relatively new to this lark and am usually scratching my head most of the time.
Are these probs only new and did they improve any after your restore??
Anyway best of luck.
:wave: Zzzzz

Reaction score
Can you not dump IE8 ??

Also you're up very late tonite and if youre up why aren't you out clubbing ??

:wave: Zzzzz

Reaction score
Also you're up very late tonite and if youre up why aren't you out clubbing ??

I live in California - USA and it's only 6:30 pm. Anyhow - tonight is a stay home evening for me and my hubby.

Question, please. I'm not understanding your question of
Can you not dump IE8 ??
Do you use IE8 or IE7? Are you on XP or Vista?
1smi.gif

Reaction score
I uninstalled IE8. What a change for the better. Now i need to set up the security settings for the Local Internet Zone.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Sheyenne said:
I uninstalled IE8. What a change for the better. Now i need to set up the security settings for the Local Internet Zone.

Glad you got sorted out.
nod.gif

I put " IE 8 problems " in the google search box and it threw up 123,000,000 replies so with all those folk reporting back to Microsoft I'm sure that they will soon fix the annoying little bugs that are plaguing IE 8.
laughingsmiley.gif

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
... 'm sure that they will soon fix the annoying little bugs that are plaguing IE 8.
laughingsmiley.gif
Meanwhile, there's Firefox. And Opera.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Computer is much faster today. Turned Diskkeeper back on to automatic.

Thanks, all, for your helps. Really DO appreciate it.

I'll be back with more questions - probably about my website.

Ask a Question