Lost soul

Mark Carter

This is a quick email to let people know that I will no longer be
creating summaries of usenet links for the foreseeable future. Sorry. My
Lycos VDS account is at the one-year point, and up for renewal. I hadn't
had as much use out of it as I hoped, and the constant way in which the
service kept going down was basically the final straw.

On a completely different tack ... I'd like to sing the praises of
Privoxy, an internet proxy. I had recently reformatted my hard drive,
and installed Firefox. Wow - the amount of jiggling baloney that most
websites pump out is truly amazing. Really really irritating. I don't
know how people put up with it. So I put Privoxy back on, and it really
scales back the crud.
http://www.privoxy.org/

Brian Robertson

Mark said:
This is a quick email to let people know that I will no longer be
creating summaries of usenet links for the foreseeable future. Sorry. My
Lycos VDS account is at the one-year point, and up for renewal. I hadn't
had as much use out of it as I hoped, and the constant way in which the
service kept going down was basically the final straw.

On a completely different tack ... I'd like to sing the praises of
Privoxy, an internet proxy. I had recently reformatted my hard drive,
and installed Firefox. Wow - the amount of jiggling baloney that most
websites pump out is truly amazing. Really really irritating. I don't
know how people put up with it. So I put Privoxy back on, and it really
scales back the crud.
http://www.privoxy.org/

With Firefox you can also use AdBlock or AdBlock Plus combined with
Filter Set G to eliminate most of the ads as well.

Craig

Mark said:
This is a quick email to let people know that I will no longer be
creating summaries of usenet links for the foreseeable future.

Say it ain't /for ever!/ Your summary has been a lot of help to me (and
I'll wager to others).
So I put Privoxy back on, and it really scales back the crud.
http://www.privoxy.org/

Thanks for the tip.

-Craig

Mark Carter

Brian said:
With Firefox you can also use AdBlock or AdBlock Plus combined with
Filter Set G to eliminate most of the ads as well.

The problem I find with Firefox is that extensions sometimes break under
upgrades, and can be tedious to set up if, like me, you tend to reformat
your hard drive more frequently than most. Privoxy is easy to set up. So
for my money (all zero pounds of them), it's a nice thing to have
kicking around.

Mark Carter

Craig said:
Say it ain't /for ever!/

OK - let's just call it au revoir rather than goodbye.

I was quite happy to present the links; but there was bad juju alignment
of the planets on Lycos VDS in which I decided to ditch them. My scripts
work best on Linux - so there will be some effort required to convert
them back to dirty stinky old Windows.

Your summary has been a lot of help to me (and
I'll wager to others).

Glad to hear it. I'll see what I can do on that front - although I'm not
planning on rushing to fix the problems, I'm afraid.

Take care.

Susan Bugher

Mark said:
This is a quick email to let people know that I will no longer be
creating summaries of usenet links for the foreseeable future. Sorry. My
Lycos VDS account is at the one-year point, and up for renewal. I hadn't
had as much use out of it as I hoped, and the constant way in which the
service kept going down was basically the final straw.

I'll remove your link from the PL2006 CD's web page.

hmmm. . . Do you have any interest in relocating the ACF summaries to
a spot on the PWH site? There's still lots of room.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Mark Carter

Susan said:
I'll remove your link from the PL2006 CD's web page.
Sure.

hmmm. . . Do you have any interest in relocating the ACF summaries to
a spot on the PWH site? There's still lots of room.

Maybe ... but I still have my www.markcarter.me.uk site, which I'll
continue to maintain. The summaries themselves are generated by python
scripts, which is the tricky bit. So what I'm really looking for is a
UNIX account - which presumably your site doesn't offer.

Sorry about that. But I'll bear you in mind in case I turn something up.

John Corliss

Mark said:
The problem I find with Firefox is that extensions sometimes break under
upgrades, and can be tedious to set up if, like me, you tend to reformat
your hard drive more frequently than most. Privoxy is easy to set up. So
for my money (all zero pounds of them), it's a nice thing to have
kicking around.

Then try this:

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#lay_adblocking

I've done it, and it really works quite well.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc (who uses sock puppets)

John Corliss

Mark said:
The problem I find with Firefox is that extensions sometimes break under
upgrades, and can be tedious to set up if, like me, you tend to reformat
your hard drive more frequently than most. Privoxy is easy to set up. So
for my money (all zero pounds of them), it's a nice thing to have
kicking around.

Eh, make my other post to this link instead:

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/adblock

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc (who uses sock puppets)
for instance. No adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware,
demoware, nagware, PROmotionware, shareware, spyware, time-limited
software, trialware, viruses or warez for me, please.

Gary R. Schmidt

Mark Carter wrote:

[SNIP]
I was quite happy to present the links; but there was bad juju alignment
of the planets on Lycos VDS in which I decided to ditch them. My scripts
work best on Linux - so there will be some effort required to convert
them back to dirty stinky old Windows.
If you want to bung the scripts my way, I could run them on my Solaris
box, which runs a Leafnode NNTP server.

As it's my primary home server, it's not likely to die soon.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Mark Carter

Gary said:
Mark Carter wrote:

If you want to bung the scripts my way, I could run them on my Solaris
box,

Drools ;)

which runs a Leafnode NNTP server.
As it's my primary home server, it's not likely to die soon.

OK, I'll get in contact with you privately.

Adam Piggott

Gary R. Schmidt

Mark said:
Stop drooling - it's just an 800MHz Duron that I had, Solaris, like most
UNIXen, is much easier on things than Windows, running CDE it flies, if
I load Gnome, it barely hobbles.
which runs a Leafnode NNTP server.

OK, I'll get in contact with you privately.
Cool.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Mark Carter

Gary said:
Stop drooling - it's just an 800MHz Duron that I had, Solaris,

I ran Linux 24/7 for a short spell on a machine at home some time ago.
Problem was, it was located in my bedroom, and made too much noise at
night. Also, I had a tendency to play about with different OSs, which
meant that stuff didn't stay put very long. My spare machine now
dual-boots XP and Xubuntu (way faster to set up than Kubuntu) Dapper
Drake. Well, that's my configuration this week, anyway. My current
thinking is on booting XP for Oracle Developer and new software; and
Xubuntu for when I get the UNIX urge. I'm going to set up a virus
scanner on the spare machine. So the spare machine will act as a testing
ground, which I'm prepared to behave sluggishly, whilst my main machine
should really belt along.

BTW, if you're going to run a machine at home, you'd do well to estimate
electricity running costs. You may find that with cheapo packages from,
say Lycos VDS:
http://tinyurl.com/esfgl
you may be suprised to discover that they're just as economical.

OTOH, I've just given up on them, so you can draw your own conclusions
on that ;)

is much easier on things than Windows,

Damn straight. Also, it may interest readers to know that Bill Gates
runs like a girl, as demonstrated on the following link:

Susan Bugher

Check me on this please (to make sure I don't have my eyes crossed). ;)
Anything that has to do with http://dana.freedns.us:81/ is going to go
away => I should remove the links/ email forwarders etc. from the PWH
web pages?

Maybe ... but I still have my www.markcarter.me.uk site, which I'll
continue to maintain. The summaries themselves are generated by python
scripts, which is the tricky bit. So what I'm really looking for is a
UNIX account - which presumably your site doesn't offer.

The PWH site can handle Python scripts. That said I've exhausted my
knowledge. Cousin Stanley or REMbranded can tell you more about what's
what. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Gary R. Schmidt

Mark Carter wrote:
[SNIP]
BTW, if you're going to run a machine at home, you'd do well to estimate
electricity running costs. You may find that with cheapo packages from,
say Lycos VDS:
http://tinyurl.com/esfgl
you may be suprised to discover that they're just as economical.
There probably are services that are as (or more) economical, but I run
is as a development box and for local file storage and so on, so having
to go out the pipe is just not on.

And as it and a couple of other boxes and printers live in the study,
the noise isn't a problem, and SWMBO is doing a teaching post-grad and
the toddler already uses my laptop to watch The Wiggles, it won't be
long before I have to add a BIG server in there!!
OTOH, I've just given up on them, so you can draw your own conclusions
on that ;)
Well, I'd probably get it from someone local to me, and rely on mates
rates for extra cheapness!!!
Damn straight. Also, it may interest readers to know that Bill Gates
runs like a girl, as demonstrated on the following link:
Snort!

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Mark Carter

Susan said:
Check me on this please (to make sure I don't have my eyes crossed). ;)
Anything that has to do with http://dana.freedns.us:81/ is going to go
away => I should remove the links/ email forwarders etc. from the PWH
web pages?

Indeed. alas, it has already disappeared because the account has been
locked out - and there is little point in me attempting a reinstatement
given that I am just about to abandon the account.

Also, www.dana.freedns.us:81 is defunct, too.

See below.
The PWH site can handle Python scripts. That said I've exhausted my
knowledge. Cousin Stanley or REMbranded can tell you more about what's
what. . .

I'll persue options with Gary Schmidt for now, as I know he is able to
offer a UNIX account. But I'll bear you in mind.

Susan Bugher

Indeed. alas, it has already disappeared because the account has been
locked out - and there is little point in me attempting a reinstatement
given that I am just about to abandon the account.

Thanks Mark. PWH web pages revised -> links have been removed.
I'll persue options with Gary Schmidt for now, as I know he is able to
offer a UNIX account. But I'll bear you in mind.

Sure - I just wanted to let you know the PWH option was available.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware