Lost Quick Launch Bar

C. David Rossen

Hello:

I've done everything in the book to try and solve this problem without any
luck. My quick launch bar disappeared about a week and a half ago. The quick
launch folder is there with the files, but I cannot create the toolbar
anymore. I've tried doing it through properties of the taskbar and when I
check the box and click apply, it doesn't do anything. I've also tried right
clicking on taskbar, choosing toolbars and when I choose Quick Launch, I get
the error message: Cannot create toolbar.

I've scanned my computer dozens of times, ran a couple spyware programs and
still cannot fix. I've also done a sfc /scannow. I've reinstalled IE 6.

Does anybody know why this is happening or how to fix? I've seen alot of
other messages about this lately so I'm thinking it's some type of virus.

Thanks for any help.

David

George

Where do you have the Quick Launch folder? It should be in:

Documents and Settings \ Userprofile \ Application Data \
Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Quick Launch. If not there, move
it there. Reboot for good measure.

George

I am wondering the same thing> ie. seems to be an epidemic lately with this
quick launch toolbar problem.
I haven't been able to find what the cause might be.
Here is another "tweak" you can try.
http://www.dougknox.com/

In the Menu on the left click on WinXP fixes, then click on the "Cannot
create toolbar....for error mesage.

C. David Rossen

I've tried something similar to this. I believe this is to recreate the
Quick Launch folder, which I already have, thus it gave me the message that
my Quick Launch folder already exists.

Carrie Garth

||| "C. David Rossen" <[email protected]>
||| wrote in message ||| <SNIP> My quick launch bar <SNIP> I've also tried right
||| clicking on taskbar, choosing toolbars and when I choose
||| Quick Launch, I get the error message:
||| Cannot create toolbar. <SNIP>

|| "George" <[email protected]>
|| wrote in message || Where do you have the Quick Launch folder? It should be in:
|| Documents and Settings \ Userprofile \ Application Data \
|| Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Quick Launch. <SNIP>

| "C. David Rossen" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | That's where it is

According to many posts by "Ramesh [MVP]", this problem may
be cause by Blazefind or any other malware (that modifies the
"Userinit" registry value). For more information use...

Google Advanced Groups Search
http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search

.... To Find messages with all of the words:

Ramesh wsaupdater "Quick Launch"

For detailed removal instructions for Blazefind see the following
Trend Micro (an antivirus and Internet content security software
and services company) web site:, see:

TREND MICRO - Security Information - TROJ_BLAZEFIND_A
http://it.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/security_info/ve_detail.php?Vname=TROJ_BLAZEFIND.A

Note: If you have the Microsoft Windows XP feature known as
System Restore enabled make certain that you click on the
hyperlink to "Additional Windows ME/XP Cleaning
Instructions".

C. David Rossen

Tim:

I cannot quite follow this properly to what I need to do. There was a link
in there for a registry hack, but it went nowhere. What exactly did you do
to fix this? Thanks.

David