Windows Vista Lost email attachment

Reaction score
After editing a Word attachment, I pressed the save button rather than save as. Therefore the file has been stored somewhere probably in the temporary file. However I am unable to locate this. Can someone help me? do you know wherre attachments are filed when they are not "saved as"?
Many thanks
Chantal

Reaction score
Chantalgodinho said:
After editing a Word attachment, I pressed the save button rather than save as. Therefore the file has been stored somewhere probably in the temporary file. However I am unable to locate this. Can someone help me? do you know wherre attachments are filed when they are not "saved as"?
Many thanks
Chantal

Hi Chantal
happywave.gif
happywave.gif

Welcome to the forum
happywave.gif
happywave.gif

If you opened the word attachment from your e-mail and edited it and just hit save. Then all you ned to do is open that atachment again and there it will be. Its only when you use save as that you get the otion to move its location. Unless of course when you recieved the atachment you first saved it to a specific location.

Do you know what it was called ? type in the file name with .doc after in your search field and see what it brings up..

Reaction score
Word attachment

Unfortunately I use Outlook and the saved attachment has got lost. I am now left with the original attachment and therefore have lost quite a lot of work. Since I had pressed the saved button, I am sure it must be somewhere on the computer, probably in a temporary file? Other people have had this problem but I cannot seem to find a solution? can someone help?
Thanks
Chantal

Reaction score
No, the problem is I have Vista and all attachment are automatically saved in a temporary folder but this folder is unreachable. Other people have had this problem as well, but no-one seems to give a simple way of how to retrieve the files? (I have heard something about registry, etc. but this is very complicated for me!)
I do not have this problem at work as I am shown which temporary folder the attachments go to, so it is easy to retrieve them.
I would be grateful for some more hints, if someone is out there who knows the problem. Many thanks. Chantal

Reaction score
Well, on vista the location of temporary file's folder is something like:

C:\Users\<USER_NAME>\AppData\Local\Temp
where <USER_NAME> = Your user name

Also, you can enter %TEMP% at the start menu search box, and you will be automatically taken to your temp folder.
Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Thanks for this. I did manage to find some temporary files. However when I went to the date, i.e. 7th Jan, there was no file shown at the time when I lost mine! Also I tried to open some of the temporary files that were on my PC and I could not open them as they have different Extension numbers. A lot of them are .tmp and I cannot open them to see what they are.
Help is still required, please.

Ask a Question