    tell the computer whether or no to show the sound icon - bit I can't
    find it.

    , Sep 4, 2009

  2. SC Tom Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Don't know why this happening. There must be a switch somewhere that
    > tell the computer whether or no to show the sound icon - bit I can't
    > find it.

    Go to Control Panel.. Sounds and Audio Devices.. and put a checkmark in the
    box Place Volume Icon in the Taskbar..

    SC Tom

    SC Tom, Sep 4, 2009

  3. SC Tom Guest

    Do you show any sound devices in Device Manager? Any yellow or red icons?
    Have you done any driver updates that may have disabled your sound card?

    SC Tom

    SC Tom, Sep 4, 2009
  4. t-4-2 Guest

    You guys ever consider system recovery ? It might be " ho hum ", but it is ,
    and should be, the first line of attack.
    Try it. Choose the date you KNOW you did have the sound icon.
    t-4-2

    t-4-2, Sep 4, 2009
  5. John Galt Guest

    "t-4-2" <> wrote:

    >You guys ever consider system recovery ? It might be " ho hum ", but it is ,
    >and should be, the first line of attack.
    >Try it. Choose the date you KNOW you did have the sound icon.
    >t-4-2

    Use correct terminology to avoid confusion:

    That would be system RESTORE, not system recovery. Recovery is a term
    reserved for using OEM media to return the system to like-new
    condition.

    John Galt, Sep 4, 2009

    On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 19:06:04 -0500, pigpen00 <>
    wrote:

    >PS: I've also clicked on Customize Notification Icons and the Volume
    >icon is missing under both Current and Past Icons, so I can't activate
    >it from there. I've also checked the Task Bar & Start Menu Properties,
    >only to find that Volume is greyed out. I don't know if that will help
    >someone identify the problem or not. I know I can probably do a system
    >restore, but I'd like to know why this is happening, if possible. Thanks
    >to anyone who can provide some insight.

    This continues to happen to me. I'm using Vista Home Premium. If you
    right click in the notification area>Properties, you will see check
    boxes - one of which is for the sound icon. On my PC, all four boxes
    were greyed out. No problems in Device manager. While rebooting, I
    notices that my sound icon (lit up on my keyboard) was red (meaning it
    was shut off). I pressed it until it showed white - and my sound
    returned. However, this doesn't explain why my other three boxes were
    greyed out (clock, network and power). There's still a problem
    somewhere. Until we figure it out (or someone else does), try
    rebooting.

    , Sep 4, 2009
  7. t-4-2 Guest

    Thank you for correcting me, mind was not completely clear after 10 hours of
    poker game and beer.
    t-4-2

    t-4-2, Sep 4, 2009
  8. PaulM Guest

    I have a script here that will fix the problem, give it a try.

    http://www.paulsxp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34

    --
    Windows XP and Vista Tweaks
    www.paulsxp.com