Looking for a decent combat flying game!

Reaction score
It seems to me that these were big about 7-8 years ago and then game companies moved on to other things...

I'm looking for a decent (combat) flight sim thats modern with good graphics and good realism. I've been playing Aces High because it's free and good fun, but i'm looking for something a bit more real!!

Anyone know of any?

Cheers :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I can't offer any suggestions, but I'm eagerly awaiting any ideas too :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
MS Flight Simulator X has many add-ons, amongst them The WW2 Hurricane, Spitfire and Messerscmitt BF109.

I've been trying to find out, to no avail, whether any add-ons feature combat.

Bit pricey though, MS FS X is around £35.00 and the deluxe version around £40.00. The BF109 add-on is £25.00 and the Hurricane is £15.00.

It is very good though. I still can't believe I picked it up for a tenner about six months ago at Amazon - brilliant stuff.

I'm using a Logitech Force Feedback Wingman joystick which doesn't actually give me very good control. Well, either that or I'm a bit crap at it :D

I have been looking at the Saitech Yoke control but at around £100.00 it's quite expensive. And there's a set of add-on pedals as well for £100.00.

Still tempted though :)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
MS Flight Simulator X has many add-ons, amongst them The WW2 Hurricane, Spitfire and Messerscmitt BF109.

I've been trying to find out, to no avail, whether any add-ons feature combat.

Bit pricey though, MS FS X is around £35.00 and the deluxe version around £40.00. The BF109 add-on is £25.00 and the Hurricane is £15.00.

It is very good though. I still can't believe I picked it up for a tenner about six months ago at Amazon - brilliant stuff.

I'm using a Logitech Force Feedback Wingman joystick which doesn't actually give me very good control. Well, either that or I'm a bit crap at it :D

I have been looking at the Saitech Yoke control but at around £100.00 it's quite expensive. And there's a set of add-on pedals as well for £100.00.

Still tempted though :)

I've been playing the MS FS X Demo for a while now - and since i've updated my graphics cards drivers it runs smoothly on maximum settings will full AA & Antistropic filtering at 1920x1200. The graphics are simply stunning!

I wouldn't ever pay for an add-on aircraft for this though - Avsim and Simviation.com are great places for free aircraft - thats where i go for FS 2004 :)

I think CH make a yoke and pedals - they are damn expensive though!! I'll stick to my Cyborg Evo!

I'd quite like to see a modern combat flight sim released - e.g. FA/18 or Eurofighter (I believe the last game based on the Eurofighter was EF2000?!)

Reaction score
The IL-2 Sturmovik series.

Fantastic WW2 flying simulation combat game. Its dirt cheap now, and made by Oleg Maddox who I believe was a part of the Battle of Britain series!

Reaction score
I remember IL-2 :)

Isn't it getting quite old now? I remember buying it ages ago... I think i sold it for one reason or another...

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
I remember IL-2 :)

Isn't it getting quite old now? I remember buying it ages ago... I think i sold it for one reason or another...

The most recent IL-2 Here. I think that one was released last year, so its pretty new!

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
By Chris

The latter :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Rush said:
By Chris

The latter :)

I'm actually getting a bit better :)

Spent a couple of hours on it tonight, practice, whilst not making perfect for me just yet, certainly improves things.

This isn't, imo, a game you can just jump into, it takes time and practice to master. Getting familiar with what the joystick does and how it affects flight, is paramount.

I've learnt that where flight is concerned, there seems to be a delay on instructions given and aircraft responding (according to different aircraft of course cos basically they're all quite different to each other).

Having said that, as gorgeous as this simulator looks and as good as it is (tons of planes and airfields) I honestly think I prefer car racing games and (dare I say it) MS Train Simulator (I love that thing :D). Recently got an add-on that goes from Charing Cross to where I live and beyond, quite odd driving a train I often use and seeing all the landmarks.

Thank you Play.com for selling some Train-Sim add-ons at a tenner.

Elsewhere one of the Michaels asked me what settings I play MS Flight Sim X at.

It's basically maxed out, all settings on ultra high and resolution 1920 x 1200 32 bit; anti-aliasing on. And lots, but not all, of the other settings on max (terrain etc) (using the system in my sig).

Reaction score
A really fun combat flight sim game I recently found is called
"Dogfight-80 Years Of Arial Warfare" the graphics are kinda crappy and I believe its really old but it is amazingly fun. There are 6 scenarios you can fly with the choice of either side. They are WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Falklands, And Syria(my fav). You will start as a 2nd Leutienant and work your way up in rank as you complete scenarios. There is no specific order you have to go in, you can choose any scenario, any side, at any time! What makes this game so fun is the quasi-realism it has. You will either start out already in the air, or on the ground at your base. You have to learn take off's and landings. It took me a couple trys to get the landings down, and you have a limited supply of missles, bullets, and fuel so WATCH THAT FUEL GAUGE! It is very easy to forget about it and before you know it your 200 klicks away from a landing strip and quickly losing speed and altitude! It takes some work to figure out how to fly well enough to dodge missles and bullets and take down your opponent. The only downside to this game is the graphics, but keep in mind it is an old game, and the limited number of planes to fly. However with 6 different scenarios that change up each time you play the same one, for example, in one scenario the first time you play it you will have 2 enemy fighters heading towards your aircraft carrier and the second they could be heading to your allys base which makes up alittle bit for the limited number of missions. So there are 6 scenarios with 2sides to play on giving you a total of 12 different planes to fly ranging from the WW1 Sopwith Camel, to the Syrian Israel f-16 with sidewinder missles, and the Great Britian Sea Harrier with hover mode capability, fun! So Graphics aside i give this game 9 out of 10 stars. A great game that every combat flight simulator enthusiast must try!:dance:

Ask a Question