Logical Disk Manager

S.Graham

Hi,
I recently bought an external drive caddy (Speed Metal
IEEE1394/USB2) and fitted my 120Gb maxtor drive which is
formatted as NTFS 4K, Dynamic volume.

I fitted it but the PC did not recognize the drive.
In the Computer Management thing it was listed
as "Offline" when i tried to right click "Reactivate Disk"
i get the error:

Logical Disk Manager
INTERNAL Error - Disk group has no valid configuration
copies

i put the drive back on to the IDE channel where the same
message came up. I tried it on all IDE (both standard VIA
controller and Promise RAID) with no effect, the error
above always occurs.

I have fitted another drive to the external caddy (12GB
NTFS 1K, Basic volume) and this works.

I read in the windows help that Dynamic volumes are not
supported as external, could this have screwn up the drive
formatting?

Id want to recover whats on the drive as its irreplacible
family video.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
Stuart.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Dynamic disks are not supported on USB drives.

Dynamic Disk Hardware Limitations
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;254105

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| Hi,
| I recently bought an external drive caddy (Speed Metal
| IEEE1394/USB2) and fitted my 120Gb maxtor drive which is
| formatted as NTFS 4K, Dynamic volume.
|
| I fitted it but the PC did not recognize the drive.
| In the Computer Management thing it was listed
| as "Offline" when i tried to right click "Reactivate Disk"
| i get the error:
|
| Logical Disk Manager
| INTERNAL Error - Disk group has no valid configuration
| copies
|
| i put the drive back on to the IDE channel where the same
| message came up. I tried it on all IDE (both standard VIA
| controller and Promise RAID) with no effect, the error
| above always occurs.
|
| I have fitted another drive to the external caddy (12GB
| NTFS 1K, Basic volume) and this works.
|
| I read in the windows help that Dynamic volumes are not
| supported as external, could this have screwn up the drive
| formatting?
|
| Id want to recover whats on the drive as its irreplacible
| family video.
|
| Any ideas?
|
| Many thanks,
| Stuart.

Is there any way of recovering the file table on the
dynamic drive so i can copy off the data then reformat as
basic.?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Try Search and Recover Free for 30 Days
http://www.iolo.com/sr/tool.cfm?tool=27