    Dynamic?

    Thanks,
    Robert

    GettingByOk, Mar 21, 2010

  2. GettingByOk wrote:
    > I'm formatting a 2 TB RAID-0 volume right now as a dynamic disk.
    > It's a 2-drive RAID-0 set and it's my L: disk. My C: drive is also
    > RAID-0 but it's a Basic disk. Two questions:
    >
    > 1) Any drawbacks to Dynamic disks? Couldn't find any in the doc
    > except for the same kind as with NTFS, you can't do certain things
    > w/ older OS's that I don't need to do anyway.
    >
    > 2) Any significant risks or problems if I convert my C: drive from
    > Basic to Dynamic?

    Actually - I would ask myself this question, "What do *I* gain by using a
    dynamic disk over a basic disk in my configuration...?" --> So - if you
    asked yourself that - what is your answer? ;-)

    Assuming you have read this?
    http://www.dynamic-disk.com/difference-between-basic-and-dynamic-disk.html

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Mar 22, 2010

  3. GettingByOk

    GettingByOk Guest

    Shenan,

    Thanks, that article is very helpful. At its end there's another article
    explaining the tradeoffs using dynamic disks, which is always very useful to
    know. Based on that, I'll leave my 2 TB eSATA as a dynamic disk (which is how
    I was formatting it anyway) and leave my C: drive as a basic disk. I might
    add another eSATA and do a RAID-1 across both RAID-0 eSATA's but my basic C:
    drive doesn't seem to be broken so no need to fix it :)

    Thanks again,
    Robert

    GettingByOk, Apr 8, 2010