Locking Pictures from being downloaded

Steve Easton

Interesting, especially the post from Jack
stating that the watermark was still there even
after a print screen and saving in a different format.
Sounds like a combination of steganography
and digital signing.

regards

Steve

I got it. The watermark is still there and easily retrievable. The cool
thing is that you had no idea it was there! If I found you using one of my
copyrighted images, it would be very easy for me to take legal action
against you, and you would not a legal leg to stand on. I would be able to
easily prove that the image was copyrighted by me and not redistributable or
reusable.

--
Jim Cheshire
Jimco Add-ins

Jim Cheshire

The really interesting thing is that the watermark is retained in entirety
even in very small portions of the image. If you crop the image, for
example, so that you only have a very small portion of the original image,
you can still retrieve the watermark.

--
Jim Cheshire
Jimco Add-ins
Co-author of Special Edition
Using Microsoft FrontPage 2003
Order it today!
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2UELLO8CHO&isbn=0789729547&itm=7

Jack Brewster

Cropped it to 1x1 and there was no watermark. Ha! Beat you!

Um...anyone have a need for a single color 1x1 pic... :)

macuser

Jim- looks like this may only stop Windows thieves. The watermark was
not retained when saving to my desktop or opening the image in an old
Mac version of Adobe Photo Deluxe. I can send you the copy I made if
you'd like.

As long as the digimark is not cross platform then you are back to
square one.

Cute kids

Jim Cheshire

macuser

Then why is there no copyright info in the image properties of the saved
image on my Mac nor does the copyright info appear when opening in my
image editor?

Just like everyone else, I would love to have the capability to
watermark images or otherwise make them copy proof. But unless I'm
looking in the wrong place, digimark doesn't seem to do the trick. What
am I missing?

macuser

I can be pretty dense lol and did not think your answer was short at
all. Pics are on there way. I would be thrilled if this was a solution
to everyones copying woes.

Thomas A. Rowe

Digimarc for a added fee will spider the internet looking for your images.
However the spider, as well others, can be blocked by site owners.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Jack Brewster

Thomas A. Rowe said:
Digimarc for a added fee will spider the internet looking for your images.
However the spider, as well others, can be blocked by site owners.

But the spider could be designed to ignore a robots.txt file and I'm
guessing that in most cases of copyright misuse, you won't have a server
admin that can block a server/service/ip block, etc. So, it's still sounds
like a worthwhile service.

Thomas A. Rowe

You may need to visit http://www.Digimarc.com and see if they have a
Digimarc Reader Plug-in for your graphic application that would let you
check if a image has a watermark.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Thomas A. Rowe

You don't block via the robot.txt file. You block by the spider's IP
address, User Agent and/or domain or other identifying info.

One reason for blocking spiders is to reduce bandwidth usage when you have a
large web site and when you know that you are not infringing someone
copyright, etc. it can make sense to block all spiders, except those of
specific search engines, etc.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Steve Easton

It's nice for a change to see a utility that
actually does what it claims to do.
Although it doesn't prevent copying of images,
it sure allows you brand them without a doubt as
"your property"
A tip "o" the hat to the folks at Digimarc.

macuser

Thanks Thomas. I'll do that. Digimark sounds like a very useful tool
that could come in quite handy.

Thomas A. Rowe

You may be able to use PhotoShop plug-in non PhotoShop applications.

http://www.digimarc.com/products/downloads/default.asp

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Nuttyguy

From: "GaryG" <[email protected]>
Sender: "GaryG" <[email protected]>
Subject: Locking Pictures from being downloaded
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 22:14:19 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.frontpage.client

Does anyone know how to disable the web user's ability to
download a copy of a picture you put on a web page using
FrontPage 2002?

What if the image was stuck inside a Flash file? Wouldn't that at least
deter 80% of the would be image thieves? Yes, I know from reading this
newsgroup some people don't have flash player plugins set up on their
browsers but $80.00 on a Swish Max program could work.

Thomas A. Rowe

Flash is not going to protect your images, as you do a screen capture.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Stefan B Rusynko

The only other "technology" often used for image protecting is JAVA since JAVA writes to screen directly
- if you want to have user problems w/ JAVA engines and security (-;