Linux on top of Windows ?

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
What is currently the best link(s) for linux i can try over Windows ?, i have a oldish laptop i think could do with a new OS thasts less demanding

Cheers Rush

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Kanotix will do you just fine on an older laptop. See me walkthrough in the Linux section.

happywave.gif

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Rush said:
i have a oldish laptop
Define "oldish". If it's a "high-end" PIII [or better] with [preferably more than] 256MB of RAM you can run any flavor you want.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Cheers Guys its a Toshiba T9100...1.7Ghz cpu ..256mb memory (upgradable to 1GB) and 30gb HD

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Puppy Linux is a great small distro, I keep going back to it, works like a charm. The best part is that it is customisable to your own liking. Easy to use and better than - in my humble opinion - DSL.

Puppy Linux

If you do give it a try, let us know your opinion so that others can benefit on the forum. ;)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Puppy is great... but if you can double the RAM (beg/borrow/steal), that laptop is plenty oophy enough for "big" distributions. A short list in affabeck lauder:

Kanotix
Linux Mint
Mandriva
Sidux
Ubuntu

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Puppy Linux is a great small distro, I keep going back to it, works like a charm. The best part is that it is customisable to your own liking. Easy to use and better than - in my humble opinion - DSL.

Puppy Linux

If you do give it a try, let us know your opinion so that others can benefit on the forum. ;)

Just had a look at Puppy and I must say the customisations done by folk look great. It is well worth looking at the Screenshots section Rush as you may find a set up already made to suit you.

http://www.puppylinux.org/?q=home/screenshots/the-puppy-artists-workshop

http://www.puppylinux.org/?q=home/screenshots/buddapup-420-pre-alpha

http://www.puppylinux.org/?q=home/screenshots/rombuss-evil-pet-puppy-linux-horror-punk-edittion-m

I could spend all day looking at the ways folk have customised linux. There are some very creative folk in the world and it is nice to see them playing as they work.

nod.gif

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
I could spend all day looking at the ways folk have customised linux.
Ooh yes. I "stole" some of the latest screenshots from Finnish Ubuntu Forums... here:

And so on...
laughingsmiley.gif

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks a lot folks..will try puppy 1st to get a feel and then we will see..

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I could swear blind that I saw a Call Of Duty icon in the third pic Urmas must have been a mistake though as we all know you can't play modern games on linux.
laughingsmiley.gif

That vampire one is truly gruesome, you Finns are a strange bunch. :p Fancy seeing that first thing in the morning.
laughingsmiley.gif

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Woof! Woof!

How is it going with your Puppy installation?

I found Puppy not only good on aging laptops but excellent on Memory sticks, particularly when you use the function of updating your session every time you use it.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good to see you again Quad :D

Puppy linux looks like a good package for just 100MB in size, I'll have to try this out on one of my old USB sticks and give it a go :thumb:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Good to see you again Quad :D

Puppy linux looks like a good package for just 100MB in size, I'll have to try this out on one of my old USB sticks and give it a go :thumb:

It is always a pleasure to be back home! :D

I think everyone who uses Linux should have at least one Puppy version always handy for emergencies, that is right, you can use Puppy in so many different ways and all for the sake of convenience.
Puppy also comes in handy when Windoze is not on talking terms
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
It is always a pleasure to be back home! :D

I think everyone who uses Linux should have at least one Puppy version always handy for emergencies, that is right, you can use Puppy in so many different ways and all for the sake of convenience.
Puppy also comes in handy when Windoze is not on talking terms
laughingsmiley.gif

Do you mean you can install puppy to a mem stick and run it from a windoze( LOL) based pc without fouling it up.(Still very green)
Could someone please explain how that works for me :confused: I thought that an OS has to be installed on the pc for it to work, like these dual boot systems i'm hearing a lot about since W7 arrived on the scene.

Zzzzz

Reaction score
captain zed said:
Do you mean you can install puppy to a mem stick and run it from a windoze( LOL) based pc without fouling it up.(Still very green)
Could someone please explain how that works for me :confused: I thought that an OS has to be installed on the pc for it to work, like these dual boot systems i'm hearing a lot about since W7 arrived on the scene.

Zzzzz

How a live cd works

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Yes the concept of live CD is similar to Puppy on a stick. The advantage of a memory stick is that you can update the session which will be saved onto the stick so you have plenty of room for changes and additions.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Another advantage of a stick over a CD/DVD is that it's faster. There is a problem with many older computers, however: their BIOS does not support booting from USB devices. In these cases, CD/DVD is the only way to go.

linuxinside1280.jpg

happywave.gif

Ask a Question