Linux for Children

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got enough spare components to build a PC, so I'm going to build one for a mate that's a teacher - he's going to take it to bits with the kids and teach them how to build one (then use some basic programming software).

I've got a spare XP license, but as it's coming the end of the supported period, I'd rather go with something that can be patched/maintained a little longer term.

It looks like the software he's using for teaching the kids programming works on Linux (they're using Rasp Pi's at the moment), so that's helpful (and free :)).

The PC is a 3Ghz P4, 1GB Ram - so it should be able to handle it ok. I was thinking about going with Ubuntu 12.04 as I've had experience with that in the past.

Would there be a better (and simple) Linux distro, considering it's going to be kids using it? I know there are some fans of Mint, Puppy and other releases - so your thoughts would be very much appreciated :thumb:.

Reaction score
A good way to use an old pc, well done Ian.:thumb:
Better than chucking them out, let children know how they work inside.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score

older kids, and education ...

Edubuntu

I'll do some reading up on this one - but if it's Ubuntu + Educational stuff then it's likely to be a good combo. I'm not sure how old the kids are, but I think they must be about 8-10.

At the end of the day, I'm not too sure how much use the PC will get - so perhaps it won't matter too much as long as it boots up and can fire up "paint" ;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I second Edubuntu. Make sure you get the LTS version which is 12.04. This version is supported till April 2017, however the newer versions are now supported only upto 9 months. I have exactly the same spec desktop which is on 24/7 and just crunching, it works great and have had no issues. I have the Hyperthreading enabled and it has 2 GB of Ram. 1 GB is very much sufficient to do what you need to do.

After you install the OS make sure you install the "Restricted extras" as that will be great for multi-media apps that the kid may use and this will be good to have.

While installing it will also give you the option for installing updates and third party software, check both of them.

Hope all goes smoothly. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Perhaps try a few live distros from USB sticks and decide yourself?

Ubuntu is getting further and further away from 'traditional' Linux and closer to Apple and Microsoft but it is easy to use.

I'll recommend Mint simply because it's still close to original Linux and is dead easy to install and use and comes media ready.

I am unfamiliar with Edubuntu.

Good luck with the project :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you both for the advice :). I've got Edbuntu LTS downloaded now, so I'll give that one a try in a VM and see how it works. From the looks of things it should do the trick :).

Ask a Question