    seconds, it goes back to normal, assinging the formerly unconnected machine
    to 192.168.1.100.

    Any idea what's causing this?

    Dave Morrell, Sep 3, 2003

  2. Dave Morrell

    Rick Wintjen Guest

    Dave Morrell wrote:
    > My Linksys router gets in this habit from time to time of assigning one of
    > its clients the address 192.168.1.36. When this address is assigned, the
    > client can't see the network, nor can the network see it. Pinging times
    > out. Interestingly, this seems to happen when when 192.168.1.100 is not
    > being used by another client machine. DHCP is set up to start addressing
    > with 192.168.1.100.
    >
    > If I reset the router, nothing changes. But if I unplug it for fifteen
    > seconds, it goes back to normal, assinging the formerly unconnected machine
    > to 192.168.1.100.
    >
    > Any idea what's causing this?

    Perhaps you have your TCP/IP IP settings set to set this address as an
    alternate, if DHCP fails. WinXP has this option, on the Alternate
    Settings tab in the TCP/IP properties.

    Rick Wintjen, Sep 4, 2003

  3. Dave Morrell

    Dave Morrell Guest

    Thanks, I'll check that. Any idea how to find out what's causing DHCP to
    fail?

    Dave Morrell, Sep 4, 2003
  4. Dave Morrell

    Dave Volke Guest

    I too have a Linksys Router and I had a similar problem whereby DHCP would
    allocate a different IP whenever my PC was rebooted. I needed a fixed IP to
    access from work. Best thing you can do is turn off DHCP on the Router and
    allocate a fixed IP setting in the windows TCP/IP setup. You can still use
    the same range that you was using (192.168.1.2 upwards). Dont forget to do
    the same for all PC's connected.

    Dave Volke, Sep 8, 2003
  5. Dave Morrell

    Dave Volke, Sep 8, 2003