Links missing from webpage & source code

For the last several days, I have had problems with links not coming up on a
few pages within a specific website. Most links show up, but some do not.
In addition, some of those "missing" links magically appear sometimes, but
not all the time. This is not a major problem for me, but it is just getting
annoying.

1. www.fly.faa.gov/ois -- in the left-hand frame, none of the links (that
should be in a "tree list" menu) show up. When I try to view the source code
for this frame (http://www.fly.faa.gov/ois/menu_sys.html) there is nothing
referencing any of the links.

2. http://www.fly.faa.gov/Products/products.html -- the first link (for
Advisories Database Selection) does not show up. There is no text and no
link there. Again, when I view the source code, the text is completely
missing. This is the ONLY link that is missing from the page. A few times,
when I reboot the computer, it shows up. However, going back later it again
is missing.

3. http://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/advADB.jsp -- just like above, the link for
"Advisories Databse Selection Form" sometimes appears, sometimes it doesnt'.
At t his time, the link IS appearing on this page, but not in the page listed
in item # 2 above. Once again, when the link does not appear, there is no
"blank space" for the text (it just reads "By using our, you can choose to
see ATCSCC and/or Canadian advisories from among those sent within the past
15 days."

Things I have tried:
1. Uninstall & reinstall Java; I have not had problems with any other Java
pages. I have also installed scipting engine from Microsoft.
2. Disabled all firewalls
3. Added the webpages to "trusted sites"
4. It is not the color of the text for the link, because there is no "blank
space" where the text could occur.
5. It is not a problem with the website, because it works just fine on
other computers.

Jan Il

Hi richzip :)

You don't mention what version of Windows you are using. I have visited the
sites and tested the links you have listed, and all links and information is
in tact and fully visible.

You may have a hijacker and/or malware on your system causing the problem.
In addition to updating and running your AV, download, install and run the
programs below in Safe Mode with Hidden Files enabled. This will remove
the nasty you have and any others it may have let in the back door. Some
malware can replicate itself repeatedly if not removed properly, so even if
you have run some of the programs listed here, it is important that you run
them again according to the information below so that Windows is not
operating to hide any files 'in use' Follow all instructions carefully:

First, Clear the TIF's and empty the recycle bin:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

Also…empty your Recycle bin.

Then do the following:

WARNING>>>> Backup all documents and files before removing any spyware!!

Most importantly, download install and run CWShredder here
and About Buster, which searches for hidden .dlls that recreate the malware.
Then visit these two sites to test for parasites and help basic cleaning:
On-Line Check
http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm
and
Quick-Fix Protocol.
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
Basically, throw everything here at your "infection".

Then download, install and immediately update these three programs before
running:
AdAware SE - Update immediately after installing
AdAware Tutorial -
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=48
SpyBot S &D - Update immediately after installing
SpyBot S&D Tutorial -
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=43
Microsoft Windows Antispyware Program (Beta)

Next, do an Online scan here (if possible) -
Make sure that you choose "fix" or "clean".

Download Pocket Killbox from
http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/killbox.exe
and put it on the desktop where you can find it easily

Download, install, and run HiJackThis - it is one of the most important
tools to help clean your system of scumware. Follow the instructions
carefully:

How to download and install HiJackThis: (it does not need to be updated)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict309.html

Please DO NOT post your log to this newsgroup. It is important that you go
to one of the HiJackThis Support Forums below and allow the experts there
to analyze it for you.
CastleCops HiJackThis Forum
http://castlecops.com/f67-Hijackthis_Spyware_Viruses_Worms_Trojans_Oh_My.html
or Bleeping Computer HiJackThis Forum
to allow the experts there to evaluate your log and advise you of any
necessary steps to clean your system.
(Note: You will have to Register before posting on these Forums. Please
follow all posting instructions carefully to avoid having your log deleted
or ignored.)

Also, please post a link to the forum where you post your HJT log back to
this thread so that we can follow your progress there.

CAUTION!!!!! Before you try to remove spyware using any of the programs
below, download a copy of LSPFIX from any of the following sites:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
(if your OS is Win2k or XP) The process of removing certain malware may kill
your internet connection. If this should occur, this program, LSPFIX, will
enable you to regain your connection.

You should also get a copy of WINSOCKXPFIX available at:
and
WinsockXP Fix- WinXP
with instructions, at
http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm
also... From LavaSoft- all versions of Windows-
http://digital-solutions.co.uk/lavasoft/whndnfix.zip
(NOTE: It is reported that in XP SP2, the command netsh winsock reset
will fix this problem without the need for these programs.)
or Winsock Fix Utility
http://www.dfwonline.net/files/WinsockFix.zip

How to Restart in Safe Mode
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406

How to Show Hidden Files
http://snipurl.com/6rl8

Hope this helps :)

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Hi jan,

Thanks for the tips, but after following all of these steps, the pages are
still not displaying correctly. After going through these steps, I do
remember something I did last week. I use Cox for my internet service, and I
used a "Clear ID cache" tool on their website. I don't know if it's related
to my problem, but the problem did start after I did that. However, it seems
similar to the steps you mentioned below

Any other suggestions?

Don Varnau

Hi,
Do you have any third-party programs running that might be blocking scripts,
scripting, active content? Norton Internet Security? McAfee AV- Internet
Filter? Proxomitron?

Which version of Windows?

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"richzip" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Jan Il

Hi richzip :)

You still have not told us what version of Windows you are using, and if it
is IE SP1 or SP2...??, and this would really help us know more how to help
you. Have you installed any new programs of any kind? Any toolbars,
add-ins, Windows Updates, anything that would have changed anything? If you
have Windows ME or XP, have you tried a System restore to a date prior to
the problem?
As Don asked, what AV are you using, your firewall, any 3rd party popup or
active X blockers?
Have you installed Google or Yahoo toolbars, do you have Yahoo
Companion...etc.

If you ran all the scumware steps, where did you post your HiJackThis log?
Could you post a link to the forum where you posted it for us? Sorry, but,
without more details, I can only guess at what might be causing the problem,
or a cure.

If you have Windows XP, try the following.

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Do you have any third-party programs running that might be blocking
scripts,
scripting, active content? Norton Internet Security? McAfee AV- Internet
Filter? Proxomitron?

Which version of Windows?

Door #1..... or Door #2? <g>

Jan :)
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"richzip" wrote in message
[...]

I do use Norton INternet Security, but the problem with these pages only
started about a week ago--NIS had been running when the pages did work. I
also tried disabling NIS, and that didn't work either.

"richzip" wrote in message
[...]

Rich,
Which version of Windows?

Is your internet connection dial-up or broadband?

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Jan & Don

Sorry about that .let's see . .I use Windows XP SP2, and IE 6.0 SP2. I run
Norton Internet Security & Antirus. I did have Google & MSN toolbars
installed, but those were installed before I had the problem. I also use
Yahoo & MSN messenger, but those were also installed before the problem
began. I also tried unintstalling all those programs, but that didn't help.

No programs were added between the time I did not & did have the problem.

I also did do a system restore to a few days before the problem started,
that didn't help. Here is the link to the HJT log:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/HJT_Log_richzip-t21685.html

"richzip" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you very much for all the additional information, it is most helpful,
and the link to your HJT log. Please be patient as the folks at the forum
are a bit busy, but, they will get with you soon. So please hang in there
and let the experts help you properly clean you system. :)

"richzip" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Don,

I'm on Windows XP, SP2; IE 6.0 SP2, and I use broadband for the internet

richzip said:
I do use Norton INternet Security, but the problem with these pages only
started about a week ago--NIS had been running when the pages did work. I
also tried disabling NIS, and that didn't work either.

Don Varnau

Hi,
Well, the fact that you're on broadband rules out the "slow connection"
possibility. The HJT log at
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/HJT_Log_richzip-t21685.html only
shows (to me) that there are a few programs/toolbars running that might be
contributing to the problem.

Try deleting the Temporary Internet Files folder for the affected user
account. Login as another user with administrator privileges, or from the
machine's default administrator account (from safe mode) and delete the TIF
folder from Windows Explorer. A new TIF folder will be created on restart. I
would set the size of the TIF folder to about 50-60 MB.

You might also try enabling the Windows firewall and disabling Norton
Internet Security to see of some feature of HIS is causing this.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"richzip" wrote in message

Robert Aldwinckle

richzip said:
Jan & Don

Sorry about that .let's see . .I use Windows XP SP2, and IE 6.0 SP2. I run
Norton Internet Security & Antirus. I did have Google & MSN toolbars
installed, but those were installed before I had the problem. I also use
Yahoo & MSN messenger, but those were also installed before the problem
began. I also tried unintstalling all those programs, but that didn't help.

It might help then if you posted a log which shows that.

I asked you before (in another thread) about the possibility
of an ad scraper or a firewall causing your symptoms.

I think that this extract from your HJT log could be an indication
that you *are* using such a tool ;)

O2 - BHO: Norton Internet Security - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll

Alternatively, since you are using XPsp2, it may be sufficient just
to use its new Manage Add-ons tool (Alt-T,A) to temporarily disable
this extension (and any others which seem reasonably relevant.)

In any case, as I said, it would probably help your analyst to post only
the minimum log necessary to reproduce your symptom if you have
actually tested without these things being present.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

No programs were added between the time I did not & did have the problem.

I also did do a system restore to a few days before the problem started,
that didn't help. Here is the link to the HJT log:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/HJT_Log_richzip-t21685.html

Hi Jan,

I followed your suggestion and posted the HJT log, but was told nothing was
found. However, after that, I ran Spybot S&D again--and this time, the scan
found something. I ran a fix on that, and the problem was solved.

However, earlier today, I ran the "disk cleanup" function in Windows XP; and
had the various checked boxes (temp internet files, recycle bin, temp files,
downloaded program files, web client/publisher temp files, and compress old
files) run. After I did that, I noticed the original problem is now back.
I'm wondering if something like that causes the problem. THe first time this
problem surfaced was after I ran an "IE Cache Cleaning" tool from my ISP
(Cox). It is downloaded from their "automated solutions" at
http://support.cox.com/sdcxuser/asp/cox_main.asp

I haven't run this program again; this most recent time, I ran the "disk
cleanup" function from Windows XP. I also tried scanning with Spybot again
when this probelm resurfaced--but nothing was found.

What do you think?

Rich

"richzip" wrote in message
[...]

The 'problem' that Spybot found & fixed the other day was under "FCI" and it
was called:
H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CONNECT\UninstallString\

Although the original problem has now resurfaced, another scan by Spybot
does not show the above item again. Would purging this item help?