Late to the 2 CPU game - several questions for ASUS A7M-266D owners

Winey

Somehow this never got posted before.

Check out the 2cpu forums they have all the answers over there.
http://forums.2cpu.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=13
lan, Maxtor Ata 133 160/120gb 8m cache, Volcano 9 coolers.
Noisy?

Btw FSB = life, 170 is a lot faster than 133 in most apps. I get 2200 in

Are you saying that you get 170 FSB? That's pretty impressive since
everyone else seems to be saying in their postings that you can expect
140-150 at most.
sandra 2003 for mem benchmark.
The Asus is supposed to be able to do 160 fsb with the right pci cards.

Is there a list of "good" and "bad" PCI cards? Does it matter if you
are using a 64-bit card?
Check out http://www.ocinside.de for pin mods for higher/lower multipliers.
I have my wire in my sockets to make the chips boot at 1.85v and the bios
sets it lower, I was having rebooting problems without that mod (the voltage
set in the bios is applied after the cpu boots).

Sounds like you had to do some experiments. If you had to remove the
CPU from the socket to do a pin-mod change, does that mean in effect
you have to re-install the heat sink? Does that insertion/removal
create any risks?
"Philx509" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Thanks for the very informative posting. Sounds like you really did
your homework!

philx509

boostland

Winey said:
Somehow this never got posted before.

Noisy?

I broke the fan on one of my volcano's finger hit the fan when cleaning
some dust.
I now run 2 x http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1135
Those coolers are a lot quieter and cool better on the lowest settings than
my old ones did on high, and they fit very nicely no mods needed and made
the chips run 10c cooler so I could overclock another 220 mhz
Are you saying that you get 170 FSB? That's pretty impressive since
everyone else seems to be saying in their postings that you can expect
140-150 at most.

The Iwill MPX2 board is the reason I can get 170 fsb, one user is running
his at 200 fsb apparently.
Is there a list of "good" and "bad" PCI cards? Does it matter if you
are using a 64-bit card?

Pci-x 100 and 133 cards will run fine in the overclocked bus and some 66
cards as well.
I am running a promise TX2 ata 133 32bit 66mhz card in the in the pci-x
slots with 2 x 160gb maxtor ata 133 drives in raid 0, been running for over
6 months now without a problem running 24/7 at 100% cpu load.
I am running a old SBlive sound card (audidgy's are 66mhz cards afaik) a
cheap rtl8139c lan (the lan card was the hardest one to make work brand name
ones would not work at those speeds) I was running a old symbios 810 scsi
card for my tape and scsi cd burner but have since upgraded burners and
moved that to my BP6 system.
Maxtor ata 133 drives are the drives to use for the onboard ide as some of
the other brands (ata 100) get data corruption above 150 fsb, seagates will
work at ata 33 speeds but that makes them rather slow so go the maxtor ata
133's.
Some ATI agp cards don't like the AGP overclocked, my leadtek GF4 ti 4400
has worked fine at 90 mhz agp speed, a BFG GF 6800 GT card will be the next
thing to add to it once I read some forums to say that someone else has got
a 6800 to run in the MPX boards.

The wire mods are only usefull on unlocked cpu's (week 38 03 and before), I
upgraded from the 2100's to some 2600's and found they were locked (I got
them before there were any forum posts on locked chips) , so I sold them and
tracked down some week 38 2800's. I have these running just under 2.4ghz and
it will probably be the last cpu upgrade that this system will get I am
hoping to have it keep me happy untill 64bit comes of age.
Sounds like you had to do some experiments. If you had to remove the
CPU from the socket to do a pin-mod change, does that mean in effect
you have to re-install the heat sink? Does that insertion/removal
create any risks?

I have removed and reinstalled the cpu's / heat sinks many times in this
board and never had a problem.

Michael Brown

boostland said:
Winey said:
boostland wrote: [...]
Btw FSB = life, 170 is a lot faster than 133 in most apps. I get
2200 in

Are you saying that you get 170 FSB? That's pretty impressive since
everyone else seems to be saying in their postings that you can
expect 140-150 at most.

The Iwill MPX2 board is the reason I can get 170 fsb, one user is
running his at 200 fsb apparently.

MPX2 or not, a 170MHz FSB is still very impressive. Usually it's not the
MPX2 board but the PCI devices that stop working. Most people can't get
above late 150's/early 160's without data corruption under heavy I/O load or
stability issues. Are you overvolting or cooling-very-well the NB/SB/PCI
cards, or is this with voltages, etc at stock?

I do remember seeing someone who managed to boot with the FSB in the late
180's (SCSI HDD, VIO pumped right up, heatsinks everywhere), but IIRC he had
to reinstall Windows every few days due to data corruption :) I haven't seen
any posts of people who have managed to get over 190 though.

[...]

boostland

Michael Brown said:
boostland said:
Winey said:
boostland wrote: [...]
Btw FSB = life, 170 is a lot faster than 133 in most apps. I get
2200 in

Are you saying that you get 170 FSB? That's pretty impressive since
everyone else seems to be saying in their postings that you can
expect 140-150 at most.

The Iwill MPX2 board is the reason I can get 170 fsb, one user is
running his at 200 fsb apparently.

MPX2 or not, a 170MHz FSB is still very impressive. Usually it's not the
MPX2 board but the PCI devices that stop working. Most people can't get
above late 150's/early 160's without data corruption under heavy I/O load or
stability issues. Are you overvolting or cooling-very-well the NB/SB/PCI
cards, or is this with voltages, etc at stock?

I have the VIO overvolt jumper set at 10% overvolts and put thermal paste
under the Std NB heatsink and a fan on it, I also put a Bx heatsink on the
SB I fitted small heatsinks to the pci cards as well.
I do remember seeing someone who managed to boot with the FSB in the late
180's (SCSI HDD, VIO pumped right up, heatsinks everywhere), but IIRC he had
to reinstall Windows every few days due to data corruption :) I haven't seen
any posts of people who have managed to get over 190 though.

This Xp has been running on this pc since may 2003 and it runs 24/7 at 100%
cpu load (2 x folding@home).
I play games encoded Xvid and burn DVD's all at the same time and it does
not crash or get any data corruption.
Running Ata 133 maxtor drives is the key to getting high FSB speeds and no
hdd corruption.
And aslo wire modding the cpu's to boot at 1.85v fixed the problems of one
cpu not posting sometimes.

The user brad on the 2 cpu forums supposedly is running 12.5 x 206 fsb, I
have run mine at 180 fsb for a short time but my lan card was not happy at
that speed, and I had to increase the ram timings a lot at 170 fsb I can run
pretty good timings on my DDR 400.

boostland

boostland said:
Michael Brown said:
boostland said:
Winey wrote:
boostland wrote: [...]
[...]

It was installed earlier than that but I lent my system out as a temp server
so I repaired it to run on a P3 then it was repaired to run on a MPX
gigabyte then back to the MPX2. and it has been on a few different hdd's as
well was just ghosted as I got bigger and faster HDD's.
I might even bite the bullet and do a fresh install of a slipstreamed sp2
when it's finally released, might also get a bigger faster o/s drive at the
same time.