Large TFT/Graphics Card

Reaction score
Guys,

After a bit of research I decided to upgrade my monitor. After spotting a "special offer" I bought an LG M203WA which is a 20.1" LCD monitor and TV for £249. So far, I am really very pleased with it - the contrast is superb, and I like to run it at maximum UXGA 1680 x 1050. The pixel clarity is fantastic, and the broad landscape aspect is great for lots of apps running or gaming.

Just one problem: I know want to run games at their maximum setting to take advantage of the display.

My system is an Athlon 64 3500+ with 2GB RAM running on an ASUS A8N SLI motherboard. My graphics card is a GT6600 (yes) with 256MB which I bought almost 2 years ago, intending to upgrade by adding a second in SLI config. I intend to go up to an Athlon 4800 or X2 which the ASUS will take with a BIOS upgrade.

Now of course, I have trouble getting the same GT6600, and have found one on ebay for £13 which I guess says how rated these cards are now.

Question: I guess I am wasting my time going SLI with another 6600, so should I double-up two lower-end cards, or just go for a single higher end card? I don't really want to spend more than £160.

What do you reckon.

Jock

Reaction score
Well spotted mate :)

Not sure who is better on postage tho probs all adds up to within 1 or 2 pounds of each other but better in his pocket than theirs i guess

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well if i were you i would get the 7600GT, like this XFX one, this BFG one or better still this one. (If i had to pick one, it would be that last one.)

I know that they are only 256MB, but it runs way faster than the 7600GS, (GS is DDR2 and the GT is DDR3 ;)) 7600GS is not much of a step up from a 6600GT for the money your paying...and IMO a waste of money.. :)

Check this chart out to compare the cards and see what i mean. :thumb:

BigJock said:
I don't really want to spend more than £160
If you spend that much you could get a 7900GS or similar

Reaction score
I think you are right V_R. I am always wary about paying that "extra" £10-15 over what you said you would, cos what's the point of a budget right? But you have to hit the price/performance just right, and I have read several reviews saying that the extra GT pipes blow away the GS by a big margin. It's a tough choice, but I might back off on the CPU a couple of hundred megs and SLI two of those babies.
Jock

p.s. That's a great chart on THG, even if he is furiously pro-Intel. But what scares me is how much further ahead each new set of cards is from the last... The new 8800s just leave everything for dust! Okay, they're £400. I can remember getting pretty excited over me fab 12MB ATI card and Voodoo accelerator....

Ask a Question