Graphics card for Photoshop?

Reaction score
Hi, I have a fairly powerful pc i believe, that I use for photo-editing but I've been having problems with my graphics cards. I use to have two Inno3D nVidia Ge-Force 7800GT 256MB working SLi but had to remove one cause my Power Supply wouldn't handle both of them (I believe) since it's only 450W. The main problem with the graphics card I have on now is that the colours (and the general appearance) of any image I see on my screen are totally different than the coulours I see when I am printing at a professional print-shop. I have tried calibrating it (without hardware-too expensive-prefer investing on something else for now) but hasn't worked. The other problem that I have, is that 2D images, mostly Flash graphics, appear with jagged edges! I am sure that at least the graphics produced in Flash should look perfect since they are vectors. Same happens with the images' edges in Photoshop and in Illustrator. So here are my questions:

1.What could be the problem? Is it really the graphics card or something else?

2.Could the problems be fixed with a better power supply? (hence having the second graphics card back on working sli)

3.What kind of graphics card would be best for premium quality results in photoshop and similar software? What should I look for when comparing?

4.Is it possible that I may be needing a new monitor as well? If so, which one? (I currently have a Yusmart 19'' tft monitor)

Many thanks in advance and I apologise that my post is too long.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Your graphics card should easily be able to handle Photoshop Graphics.

It would help to know the specs of the rest of your PC, particularly the make of the Power Supply.

I would suspect first the Power Supply and then, possibly, the monitor.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to upgrade your PSU, go for around a 600W model from a manufacturer such as Tagan, Enermax or Corsair. Do not be tempted by cheap PSU's, they're usually rubbish.

Your monitor is also a cheap and cheerful model, if you were to change it, again go for a good brand such as Samsung; Philips; or Viewsonic. Hyundai, Dell and NEC are quite ok as well.

Using two graphics cards in sli mode will gain you very little advantage for Graphics work but would be beneficial for gaming.

Unfortunately there's no way to find out if any of these recommendations will work without actually trying different components, it would help if you could try a monitor on a trial basis but it certainly wouldn't do any harm at all to get a better power supply.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
as flopps said its more than likely your monitor thats at fault and needs adjusting accordingly

the PSU you've linked to is a tad OTT, This would be a better choice imo

as for a monitor this LG is probably the best for the money

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'd recommend this monitor: Samsung 22" SM2232BW for £212.00 several forum members here have them including myself, it's a very good monitor.

As ME said, that PSU is a little OTT and I personally don't know much about that make.

I was about to recommend the exact same one ME has linked to, The Tagan, definitely good value for money.

The Corsair 520W PSU is a goodie as well at around the same price.

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
the PSU you've linked to is a tad OTT, This would be a better choice imo

Why do you think that the thermaltake psu is ott? It's exactly the same price as the Tagan one but with 750W, 4 +12V rails and SLI ready (not sure what this means but I do have 2 SLI graphics cards). You think I won't be needing this kind of power or is Thermaltek not a good manufacturer? Is the Tagan psu better than the Thermaltake? If yes why?

Thanks

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
never really looked at thermaltake PSU's, Tagan are known for making decent units which is why i choose it, its probably more efficient than the thermaltake and when you are getting to high wattage's every % efficiency counts

you dont need a 750W PSU so theres no point getting it and wasting electricity, 580W is still more than what you'll need but it gives you a healthy overhead

Last edited:

Ask a Question