Laptop problem

Reaction score
Hi there guys, i am a new member in search of some advice. I have a toshiba satellite M30-704 laptop and have accidentally spilt water on it recently. When i tried to turn it on i just get a long beep (about a second) followed by two short beeps. I am led to believe that this means i new motherboard.

Would someone be so kind as to advise me the best place to get one for a reasonable price and if it is infact a motherboard i actually need, not something else.

Thankyou

Jon

Reaction score
When you spilt the water did you try try to get rid of the water straight away?
If left to soak in it may have damged the membrane that the keyboard sits on?
What has led you to think it's a new motherboard?
And does the laptop not start at all?

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Well it leaked onto the computer. I have wiped off all i can but have spoken to a friend who repairs laptops in his spare time and he has advised me that those sequence of beeps suggests a motherboard fault.

Reaction score
jon_lucas said:
Well it leaked onto the computer. I have wiped off all i can but have spoken to a friend who repairs laptops in his spare time and he has advised me that those sequence of beeps suggests a motherboard fault.
I would be surprised if spilling water onto a Toshiba laptop shags up the hard drive, but you never know!
Suggest you then ask your friend to get hold of a new/used HDD for you.
Do you have all the original disc etc to put back the software onto the laptop?

Reaction score
Is it likelier (sp) to be a hard drive then a motherboard then? Only worried as i dont even get the bios on bootup, i get nothing for that matter. It's hard to tell if the screen even powers up...

Jon

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
"Beep Codes" have different meanings for different BIOS's ... what I mean by that is, there are basically three BIOS manufacturers, their codes are different.

If you have a Phoenix BIOS your Beep code ... 1-2-2 ... is indeed a MB failure

However, if you have an original type IBM BIOS then the beep code ... 1 long 2 short ... is a Video card failure.

An AMI BIOS has no beep code that matches.

Now, just to throw a spanner in there, there is also an Award BIOS ... they like to keep everyone guessing ... it could be anything. :D

If I have to guess, I would side with your "friend" and also say it is a MB fault ... if that is so, then you will not get the thing to boot and the only course of action is to replace the MB.

If you had been quick enough, and pulled the plug, mains & battery, you may have been able to let it dry out in a warm place for a couple days and if lucky, it would still work.

Looks like you may need a new Laptop. :(

Welcome to the Forums. :thumb:

Ask a Question