Laptop problem won't go into windows.

Reaction score
Hi everyone

my friend is having trouble with her laptop
here is a summary of the problem:

I got a laptop here, it is a HP Pavillion dv2000.Seems that I turnt it off and on by pressing the button.

Now when I turn it on before it get to the windows xp screen I get the options where it asks me to either:~

run in safe mode

last known configuration etcc.

I tried all of these and when I select them the laptop does not get to windows instead it RESTARTS and I end up back in bios.

I tried to run this f11 command
which would reinstall the laptop to the original factory settings but this failed

The oly other option I can think of is to use the original 3 DVDs my friend has which can restore the laptop to its original state.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can sort this out without getting these 3 disks back?

also would that restoration affect any of my saved files and settings?

thanks for your help

psd99

Reaction score
What I meant was does anyone have any suggestion on how to get windows working again without getting hold of these 3 disks?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How does the F11 option fail exactly? I guess this is supposed to restore an image of the original configuration (losing all data though).

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
How does the F11 option fail exactly? I guess this is supposed to restore an image of the original configuration (losing all data though).

Well what happens is that when I get the options to either:

load last know good configurations
use windows safe mode

whatever option I chose the screen goes black
and then the laptop restarts
It is like it goes into a loop.

I think the f11 uses a current partition on the harddrive to restore the pc back to it's original factory settings but I am not so sure what it does to the current files.

any ideaS?

Reaction score
I've encountered this problem before, and the only solution that worked for me was a complete reinstall of windows, which would lose all files on the PC, but as it was on a networked PC it was not an issue.

I think HP / Compaq restore partitions restore your PC to how it was when purchased (and reinstall all software that was shipped with the pc), but I'm quite sure it offers you the option of backing up your data before it starts. However, my memory of this process tells me that it corrupts most of the software that had been installed post-purchase, which starts a painful process of removing/replacing software, but this could have just been a one off.

Either way, you're stuck right now, so I'd recommend first trying to restore from the partition and hope there is a data backup option, and if that doesn't work, then you'll probably have to use the restore disks.

Ed

Ask a Question