Laptop 'cable fault'

Reaction score
Hi,

my Irish friend Fiona is in the middle of the Amazonia area and has a problem with her laptop.
She asked me to find out what could be wrong.
She wrote:

i sat down last night and was working away, when suddenly my machine shut down. when i restarted it, it came up with a recurring message, something about "cable fault". i have a cable that comes from the computer into the(external) battery pack, and then a small cable from the battery pack into the wall. i had to get a new one of these smaller cables to suit the 2 pin type sockets here and i´ve used it in the past and its been fine. i changed back this small cable to my old one with an irish 3 pin plug on it, and plugged it into the wall via an adaptor this time. the message isn´t coming up now, but its still not booting up. now the screen is all black, with a small white horizontal line blinking in thte top left corner.

Your help is much apreciated

Jürgen

Reaction score
Windows seems to be corrupt.

You can tell her to try to remove the hard drive, then plug it back in again.

Reaction score
I second to KGB-911 that windows seems to be corrupt but I never seen any message saying "Cable Fault" or might be I am missing something.

Anyway ask your friend to try booting the computer from some other media (floppy/CD).

I don't think so Plugging out and then plugging in HDD will make some difference as symptoms (Blinking cursor) is giving an idea that HDD is detected.

Ask a Question