Power-up problems with my new laptop...

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just bought a new dell inspiron 6000 laptop and have run into a problem on the first day. Basucally the laptop powers up from the battery only, from the av power socket when the battery is taken out, but will NOT swith on when the battery is in and the power cable connected to the wall socket. I can switch it on from just the battery and then plug in the power cord and its fine.
When I try to switch the laptop on with both the battery and the power cable attached, it starts to turn on, the power light comes on but there is no activity on screen and the laptop doesnt boot up?

Any ideas whats going on and how i can solve it?
Really appreciate your help as I cant get through to dell!

Thanks
Gig

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thats a strange problem, I used to have an Inspiron 6000 a few months ago and I rather liked it, but I don't think it ever did that. I suspect it might be a fault if it doesn't turn on under those circumstances, so try sending a message to their support online - I've always found them fairly quick that way.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You have 7 days to go back to the 'shop' for a replacement or refund ... I would do that first. Your initial contact should always be where you purchased the item ... even if it was on-line.

Take no nonsense from them as you have the Law on your side, just drop a hint if they say they need to send it somewhere, that, you know your rights under the "Sale of Goods Act" ... ;)

Oh heck ... you can't buy Dells in the shop ... :rolleyes: Well it still applies to on-line sales, but be quick.

:thumb:

Reaction score
My problem is that i bought it form an ebay shop and they've asked me to contact dell. silly me. though i did save about £400. will try dell.

muckshifter

Reaction score
peresh said:
My problem is that i bought it form an ebay shop and they've asked me to contact dell. silly me. though i did save about £400. will try dell.
You saved £400 ... Hmmm, did you?

Sorry, but I'm not known to be subtle ... ;)

Reaction score
dont worry, subtlety would be lost on me anyway. I suppose if i've got this problem then i didnt save but the have in actual fact created more of a problem in getting it sorted. either way the problem is still there!
I've been told on another forum that its actually a battery problem. Not really sure about this from the problem im having. Could fork out on a new battery but its an expensive way to test a solution

muckshifter

Reaction score
Pleased to see someone immune to my sarcastic traits. ;)

The idea of getting a 'new' battery is quite sound, laptop batteries are prone to failing, and a 'spare' is always handy. Hope it don't cost £400 :rolleyes:

Reaction score
yeah i mite go ahead and get one but do u think its really the battery thats a problem if it works with the battery and with the ac adaptor but not both. seems the general opinon that its a bit of a strange problem. I think new batterys will cost around £60 for the basic but not sure. its probably not too much to spend on top of my £770 (1.86Ghz, 80Gb, 1Gb- if you really want to know!)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Wait for a Lappie to pass by here, they may have better advice, we have a few nutters that use them. ;)

Seen a cracking Acer in Tesco the other day, around you spec', for £499, I was well impressed with the screen, but 256Mb ram was a bit pathetic, still, nice price. :D

Stick around, you'll get used to me, or die trying. :thumb:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
If the battery is OK and you can use it, I suspect the internal circuitry is at fault and getting a new battery may not solve your problem. I suggest you contact Dell and get proper help. If I were you, I would not get a new battery, this is my opinion based on the information you provided in your first post.

Just my 0.02

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys
Heres an update. After a bit of a wait in a telephone queue and a fair amount of wrangling, I managed to persuade dell to send me a new system. They wanted to replace the part but i refused! :)
I thought this was pretty good since I bought the system from a dell outlet rather than directly from dell.

I've got a question for u guys. When i bought the laptop I was told it had rescue software which was activated by ctrl f3 on the bootup screen. I've also been told this wont come with the replacement from dell. the backup/reboot option would be pretty damn useful. any advice on what the options are for a naiive person such as myself??

thanks

gig

Ask a Question