KMS Client Activation returns 0xC004F039 error

William Luo

I created a KMS host with a volume license key for MS partner.
But when I tried to active any KMS client in my intranet with the following
command:
C:\Windows\System32>cscript slmgr.vbs -ato
I saw the error:
0xC004F039 The computer could not be activated. The Key Management Service
could not be reached.

Why is it not the 0xC004F038 error (n-count is not enough)?

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello William,
The KMS server machine is not activated. Until the machine that is running
the KMS Server service, is activated you will get this message.
Once you activate that machine against the Activation servers, then the KMS
clients will be able to communicate to the KMS server. At which point you
will start getting the 0xc004f038 messages until the n-count hits 25.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "William Luo" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: KMS Client Activation returns 0xC004F039 error
|>Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 00:23:29 +0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>I created a KMS host with a volume license key for MS partner.
|>But when I tried to active any KMS client in my intranet with the
following
|>command:
|>C:\Windows\System32>cscript slmgr.vbs -ato
|>I saw the error:
|>0xC004F039 The computer could not be activated. The Key Management
Service
|>could not be reached.
|>
|>Why is it not the 0xC004F038 error (n-count is not enough)?

William Luo

Sorry that I didn't mention that I ran slmgr.vbs -ato at the KMS host,
the KMS host was successfully activated by itself.

So, there must be other reason for this problem.
Any other hints?

P.S.
I run telnet mykms:1688 from a Windows XP and the error is:
Could not open the connection to the host, on port 1688: Connect failed.
So I guess the Software Licensing service has some problem.
But I can see from the Services management panel that the
Software Licensing service is of Started status.

Hi Darrell,
I am wondering can we reduce the number of client since I have to run the
test before I can roll out the Vista. Since, I dont have 25 machine on the
test environment. Is there any way to reduce the client count on KMS host
for testing purpose first? it is really hard for us for do the testing.

Simon

carlrimmel

Did you have any luck getting past this? I am in a similar
situation. I ran the cscript slmgr.vbs -ipk <volume license key> and
that worked but when I tried to then activate the machine using the -
ato option, it always failed. So, I activated it using the MAK
license we own and that seemed to work (its activated) but it is not
receiving any kms requests from our clients and appears to be dead.