KMS - How to prevent a client machine acting as a KMS host

myemail.jc

We are a large secondary school in Glasgow and are rolling out Vista
Enterprise to a subset of our desktops, around 300. We have installed
and configured KMS server on one of our Windows Server 2003 R2
machines. Using the <slmgr.vbs> tool we can successfully activate our
machines against this W2K3 server. However, on reviewing the DNS
records we noted that a number of our Vista clients hyas actually
registered as KMS hosts, and had corresponding _VLMCS records in DNS.
On checking each of these machines we confirmed that they were indeed
running the KMS license service - effectively activating other KMS
clients on our infrastructure.

I can find no documentation which explains how to change the machine
from acting as a "KMS host" back to being a "KMS client". We've run
the slmgr.vbs script to uninstall the product key and rearm the
machine but it keeps coming back as a "KMS host".

Any help much appreciated.

Jonathan Caddy
Computing Services Manager
Hutchesons Grammar School, Glasgow UK

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Jonathan,
You need to change the machine running as KMS hosts back to KMS clients.
You need to install the generic vl key located in the PID.txt on the DVD
open an elevated CMD prompt
This is the FAQ at the link below. the setup key listed below is the
product key in PID.txt on the Volume License media DVD
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/faq.mspx?info=EXLINK

Q. I inadvertently ran the slmgr.vbs –ipk script using a KMS key on several
computers. How do I convert them back to KMS clients?
A. Run slmgr.vbs -ipk <setup key>. Remember to delete any unnecessary SRV
resource records from DNS if applicable and restart the computers.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]