Kindle or Other Make?

Reaction score
My Dad is after a Kindle or other make of eBook Reader!
I have know idea of them & have been against them, i prefer the book in front of me!!! But it's now up to me to source one, get it for as cheap as possible & to teach him how to use it!!!

So folks it's over to you now!
Please help a man in need!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Becky has got the Amazon Kindle, and I'd recommend it hands down :). The £99 version has no 3G connection, so if your dad has a computer/wifi connection then that's all he'd need. Becky's mid-80 year old grandparents found it really easy to use, so it should be straight forward to get anyone up and running with it.

You can also get loads of free books from the net/Kindle store to get up and running, so if he reads a lot he may even end up saving money!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I got the GF a kindle for Xmas, its really good. Shes not actually put it down yet! lol

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Bought the Wifi the Wifi variety..she loves it

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Am considering getting a Kindle for myself actually, after having proclaimed my preferring real books I have now noted the almost 100% positive feedback they have received.

I'll go for the one without 3G if and when I buy one but funds is tight atm so that one's just on a wishlist for now.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Amazon have lots of the classics free like Pride and prejadice and Sherlock holmes...etc

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I bought the 3G Kindle so that when we go on holiday I don't end up lugging a pile of books with me. It is a fantastic bit of kit, and the page turn speed is so quick that you don't notice it when you're reading. The free 3G coverage is good - we used it in Portugal without a hitch (actually that worked against me - as Ian was constantly trying to steal it!!)

I think I actually prefer it to paper books, it's more comfortable to read from. I certainly never thought I would say that! ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Another positive vote for the Kindle here too :thumb: They were this year's Christmas gifts to each other and, are absolutely great. :thumb:

I don't think you will have much of a problem "teaching" your folks to use the Kindle, Feckit, they are really easy to set-up, download books, and to use. :nod:

The battery life is great - we have used our Kindles every day (purchased back in November) and, it was a full month before a re-charge was needed. :thumb:

If you want to buy from a store instead of Amazon.uk, John Lewis are also selling them.
:D

Reaction score
Do you have to use the WiFi to download books or can you use the USB lead?

And download via the pc to the device?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
feckit said:
Do you have to use the WiFi to download books or can you use the USB lead?

And download via the pc to the device?

You can do it either way. It's really quick via the 3G, btw.

Perhaps you would find this useful and informative. It's the user manual Kindle Manual
.pdf
:)

Edit: BTW - it will say Kindle 2, but will still give you a good idea about what's what.

Last edited:
Reaction score
cant get the wireless connection up.

right password for the sky bb but the kindle does not want to know!
any troubleshooting advice anyone?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I found this on another site, which might help:

A quick note, when connecting your Kindle to your wi-fi network it will ask you for the password.

You can input your password from now til hell freezes, and it won’t work.

What it actually wants is the Network Key, which you’ll find in your router’s setup, accessed via your browser.

Ronsrants link

Reaction score
Cheers for that TCWe have typed in the Network Key but it still does not play ball!

Will have another go tomorrow.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
feckit said:
cant get the wireless connection up.

right password for the sky bb but the kindle does not want to know!
any troubleshooting advice anyone?

Do you need to authorise it on the router? My o2 router has a button on the front which allows devices to connect for the first time, it will then add the MAC address to the safe list.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah was just going to post, sounds like a MAC addressing issue, that or your just typing the PW wrong. ;)

I dont use DHCP on my router so i have to add to manually add any device to the LAN IP etc list before it will let anything connect. :)

Reaction score
Cheers once again TC.

We have charged it, but now the green light will not come on when turning it on. I'm now charging it via the USB cable to see if that works. Will look at the troubleshooting guides & the kindle forums tomorrow.:thumb:

Reaction score
The Kindle my Dad had died the day after he bought it.
However the shop my Mum bought it from exchanged it with out any problems.
Going to set it up the new one for them tomorrow!

Ask a Question