Keyboard typing double letters

G

I have a Sony Vaio laptop, model FXA49. A couple of days ago, my cat walked across the keyboard. Since then, it's been typing double letters. For example, if I type an "s", the letters "ds" appear on the screen. If I press CTRL+C, it launches Find

I have tried reinstalling the keyboard driver, resetting the system defaults in the BIOS, and System Restore. None of these have solved the problem. I've also talked with Sony tech support, who had me do the steps above (even though I'd already done them). They seem to think the keyboard has gone bad and needs to be replaced. I think there is some obscure key combination that was pressed by my dear cat and I can't figure out what that was. It's not documented in any of the places I've looked

Does anyone here have any suggestions on how I might resolve this without taking it in to have the keyboard replaced? Would doing a clean install solve the problem? There is a BIOS update available, but the down arrow doesn't work either, so I can't tab through the BIOS to complete the flash

Thanks for any help you can give me

Cheers
Karen

G

the simple solution is to try another keyboard. they dont like being walked or sat on

Ask a Question