K8V Deluxe Setup

hd2000fxdl

Hello I am looking at putting the following configuration together.
Let me know if there is any known conflicts with the items I am
looking at.

MoBo - ASUS K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU, Model
"K8V Deluxe"

Case - Thermaltake Silver Xaser V Damier Full Tower Case W/420W Power
Supply model "V6420AU"

CPU - AMD Ahtlon 64 3400+ / 1MB Cash / 1600MHz / Socket 754 /
Processor

RAM - 512MB 400MHz DDR PC3200 ECC DIMM 3-3-3 / Standard 64M X 72 ECC
400 MHz 184-pin Unbuffered DIMM (SDRAM-DDR, 2.6V, CL3, 400mil, TSOP,
Double-Sided, Gold) "# KVR400X72C3A/512"

Hard Drives - Maxtor "# N82E1682214437" Maxtor 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard
Drive, Model 7Y250MO

DVD Writter - Sony DRU-530A DVD Burner / 8x4x12x DVD+RW / 4x2x12x
DVD-RW / 40x24x40x CR-RW / Dual Format

Video Card - nVidia Quadro NVS 400

The other items I know won't be a problem, Also I will be adding a
standard Sony Floppy drive.

If there is anyone out there that has any input please let me know.

Thank you,

Harry

Sarak

hd2000fxdl said:
[...]

Ya since when does 3400+ run at 1600Mhz, my 3200+ runs at 2000

Dont get thermaltake get a lian-li (i have both like lian-li much better)

why ECC? if you get HyperX or Corsair TwinX non-ecc 2-3-3 or better, no
errors and much faster

LG dvdrw much cheaper than sony (i think) and never had a problem with mine.

Maxtor, never in my life will I buy from this company. If you want a GOOD 3
yr warranty fast HD for cheap get SAMSUNG. If you want the best get a WD.

Other than this Athlon64 has proven itself to me. Good processor, im
running WinXP64Beta and have yet to reboot or crash in about 2 weeks.

Jim Sherman

Ya since when does 3400+ run at 1600Mhz, my 3200+ runs at 2000
I think that's 2200MHz. And the memory access is 800 AFAIK.
--
Jim Sherman
(e-mail address removed) < remove lower case letters,

The hurrider I goes the behinder I gets; which makes sense because
the older I gets the more behind I gets. And I is gettin an old behind!

SPRITE1001

Got a few suggestions, this is going to be long so get comfy.

Mobo:
Great choice

Case:
I'll agree with Sarak, Lian-li cases are pretty dang sweet and if your going to
put out the cash for a good case you really cant go wrong with them.
The power supply seems good, I personally go with Enermax but as long as its a
good solid brand name you should be fine.

Ram:
You didn't say which brand of memory your going for. Make sure its compatible
with the board (Asus will have a little thingie at the bottom of the boards
description saying which manufacture works).
I have this board and ran in to issues when I tired to run unsupported memory
on it. Also keep in mind that the K8V can only use two of its memory slots if
you intend to use it at 400mhz.
I noticed that your running a Quadro so I'm assuming your going for some form
of video/3D editing so RAM will be a pretty big deal. I'm currently running
Corsair TWINX1024-3200LL (its 2x 512mb), at stock speed it runs 2-3-2-6 and is
ultra stable.

Hard Drive:
I personally have no problems with Maxtor (sorry Sarak), I picked up their
first 40gig 7200RPM drive and its still running strong as a storage drive after
many years as a system drive. WD's Raptor is supposed to be top notch however
it does run at 10,000RPM so there will be an increase in noise (however there
was no real difference in heat output).
I personally run the Hitachi DeskStar 7K250 80 gig as my system drive. Except
for the initial seek time it met or beat out the Raptor in benchmarks for far
less cash and noise. However I believe Samsungs new driver are supposed to be
top notch as Sarak pointed out.
Now for the big one, if you intend to install win2k/XP pre-serivce pack, it
cant see drives above 130gig (or there abouts) which may cause problems. What I
always do and recommend is get a smaller drive for you system, like the 40gig
Raptor or in my case the 80gig Hitachi. Then go big for your secondary drive
for storage and scratch drives.
Also keep in mind pre-service pack win2k/XP doesn't natively support SATA so
you'll have to load the drivers for it when you install. If you don't know how
to feel free to post or email me (whole other subject). Check out Toms's
Hardware or Anandtech for some reviews about the newer hard drives.

DVD Writer:
This one I cant help with, I'm looking to pick one up myself so I'm interested
if people have any other suggestions. But if an uninformed opinion, I've always
liked Plextor, they tend to be more but also tend to be more reliable.

Video Card:
The Quadro is supposed to be a top notch card if your getting in to 3D
Rendering or such types of operations.

Floppy:
Floppy = good, dont care what anyone says, a floppy is always a nessisity ;)

Sorry this was so long, but hey your dishing out soem serious cash for this rig
so take the time to get as much input as you can, it'll save you some headaches
later.

Good luck
Arie

Sarak

note on power supply Antec True power is my favorite
and I sugguested both TwinX and HyperX memory cuz I have tested both on my
K8V

Barry Walsh

Sarak said:
Ya since when does 3400+ run at 1600Mhz, my 3200+ runs at 2000

Dont get thermaltake get a lian-li (i have both like lian-li much better)

why ECC? if you get HyperX or Corsair TwinX non-ecc 2-3-3 or better, no
errors and much faster

LG dvdrw much cheaper than sony (i think) and never had a problem with mine.

Maxtor, never in my life will I buy from this company. If you want a GOOD 3
yr warranty fast HD for cheap get SAMSUNG. If you want the best get a WD.

Other than this Athlon64 has proven itself to me. Good processor, im
running WinXP64Beta and have yet to reboot or crash in about 2 weeks.
1600 Mhz is the hypertransport speed. It's 1200 for the nForce 150
chipsets as they had trouble with signal integrity. It's not a vital
piece of information though, there doesn't seem to be much reason to
include it.

hd2000fxdl

[...]

Thank you Arie and Sarak,

For Sarak, the memory I am now looking at is the same that you are
using, TWINX1024-3200LL . I figure if I am putting a system like this
together I might as well not skimp on the RAM and do it right the
first time.

I also chamged the HD's to WD the WD250JD (Thanks Sarak), I plan on
running Raid 0 with them. Well thats my current plan, I may change my
mind when I total everything and go Raid 0+1.

Thank you very much for pointing out the fact that XP without the
Service patch 1 compatability issues with SATA and 130GB HD's and
larger, Thats one of those things that you know and will tell other
about but when you do a build somehow you forget them things.

Thanks,
Harry

Sarak

hd2000fxdl said:
(e-mail address removed) (SPRITE1001) wrote in message

Thank you Arie and Sarak,

For Sarak, the memory I am now looking at is the same that you are
using, TWINX1024-3200LL . I figure if I am putting a system like this
together I might as well not skimp on the RAM and do it right the
first time.

I also chamged the HD's to WD the WD250JD (Thanks Sarak), I plan on
running Raid 0 with them. Well thats my current plan, I may change my
mind when I total everything and go Raid 0+1.

Thank you very much for pointing out the fact that XP without the
Service patch 1 compatability issues with SATA and 130GB HD's and
larger, Thats one of those things that you know and will tell other
about but when you do a build somehow you forget them things.

Thanks,
Harry

You may also wish to use WinXP64Beta. Its free for a year and I am sure
the 130GB issue is prob resolved in beta. I am using it and it is quite
reliable.

SPRITE1001

What sort of programs do you run in 64? I have it but dont run it to much since
my sound drivers for my card no workie in XP64. Also have you found any good
AV's for 64? I know Norton 2003 and the current AVG doesnt run.

Arie