k8 vt800 pro and raid config

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got a k8vt800 pro mobo with two basic HDD's, one is 5600rpm 40gb with my OS installed on it the other is an 7900 rpm 80gb Used primarily for storing files. my question is this, what would (if any) be the advantage of using raid?, is it easy to setup? do i need any extra equipment? any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Moriati.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Any RAID setup is unpractical using the disks you have at present.

For a RAID system to work efficiently, ideally the pairs of disks used should be identical in every way.

Reaction score
basically, with a 5600rpm drive you will not get any speed advantage by linking the two disks, and if you try to mirror the files then both disks will be read as 40gb, meaning you lose a thrid of your storage.

or at least that is my understanding

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
PotGuy said:
basically, with a 5600rpm drive you will not get any speed advantage by linking the two disks, and if you try to mirror the files then both disks will be read as 40gb, meaning you lose a thrid of your storage.

or at least that is my understanding

You be right.

Reaction score
Ok so to make any real use of the raid option on my mobo i really need to buy a pair of HDD's to set up in raid..... one more question though, would it make much difference to overall system performance if i was to swap the OS onto my 80gb 7900rpm?

Ask a Question