Just musing again...

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh really...!! Is it any wonder that most of us have to wait an age to be given an Outpatient appointment, when hospital admin staff waste so much time by not checking their internal records?

For a while now, I've been waiting for an appointment with the Ophthalmology department of Cardiff's largest hospital. I knew there would be a wait, of course... there usually is. But I can't help thinking that if the non-medical staff were running things more efficiently, it might actually help to reduce waiting times.

Earlier this year, our Optician was not able to diagnose a sight problem which has been intermittently bugging me. I get a day or two of blurry vision and a very annoying, "double vision" kind of thing, (not in the true medical definition of the term, but where letters and figures appear to double-up.) I might "see" 110, or 1100, instead of 10 for example; and words containing letters i, l or v, such as in the word "exclusively" might look like "excllusiiwellly" to me.) Just to give you an idea.

When it happens, it can make reading decidedly difficult and has given me some nasty shocks when checking a bank statement! :lol: Thankfully, this is not happening all of the time as I've already mentioned... but it means I'm not to drive until it's properly sorted. I wouldn't chance it anyway... because when it happens, I sometimes can't recognise faces until I'm close to them, or read street signs or number plates. Though most of the time, I can see them okay.

So, after Mr. Optician had ruled-out the obvious things, (e.g., cataracts or astigmatism) he decided to refer me to the hospital's Ophthalmic department for further investigation. I told him I'd had a brain scan last year (headaches) and the results were clear of any nasties. But as he pointed out, situations can change, and "We need to know if anything else is going on, sooner rather than later..." Hmm... that was a cheery thought. :rolleyes:

Anyway, after several weeks, a letter arrived, informing me that I'd been added to "the consultant's shortest list." Oh good! Better than being on his "longest list" I guess. The letter also contained details of my address and phone number with a request that I should contact them if any of the details were incorrect.

They were all correct!

There passed ore weeks of waiting. Then, this weekend, another letter arrived. Oh great! My appointment, thought I.... But no, it was yet another letter, asking whether I still require the appointment/have already attended the appointment/no longer require the appointment/have a date to attend the appointment... please tick whichever is appropriate and return the form in pre-paid envelope. Oh... and whilst we're about it, we don't appear to have your telephone number. Please also supply your email address, if you have one, plus any dates that you will not be available!

It's a Bank Holiday weekend, so no postal collections until Wednesday. And when the returned form eventually finds its way to the hospital, I daresay it will be passed around a bit, before reaching the appropriate department, then go through their filing systems and what-not... so that effectively takes care of yet another week or so.

I have a hospital number, so why not simply have checked my records again, (or even looked at a copy of their previously-sent letter?) My telephone number would have been right there on file. A quick call:

Q: "Still want the appointment?"
A: "Yes please."
Q: "Any holiday dates to avoid?"
A: "No."
Q: "Got an email addy?"
A: "Yes, it's blah @ blah uk"

Done! Just a couple of minutes to key it into the computer and probably cheaper than having them send out forms, paying postage (both ways) and then spending time sorting out paperwork.

Hey-ho.... a bit of a grumble can be quite theraputic sometimes...:thumb:

Reaction score
Yep dealing with the NHS can sometimes be very frustrating!
But good to know they still are thinking about you TC.:thumb:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
People don't like picking up the phone anymore, it's ridiculous! You're right - things could be sorted out far more quickly if they did.

Hope you get you appointment soon, double vision can't be much fun.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I have a plan ...

Get any walking stick, paint it white, get dark sunglasses. Now, take the consultant's shortest list letter and go to the hospital, tell them that you're running out of time and could you please "see" some one today. :)

... 'cos you have a GW2 weekend this weekend and you really don't want to miss it. :cool:

I went to that hospital once, they kept asking me to go back. :rolleyes:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Yep dealing with the NHS can sometimes be very frustrating!
But good to know they still are thinking about you TC.:thumb:
Oh yes... unlike my Other Half, who has now been waiting a full year for a non-urgent appointment in the same department. :rolleyes:

People don't like picking up the phone anymore, it's ridiculous! You're right - things could be sorted out far more quickly if they did.

Hope you get you appointment soon, double vision can't be much fun.
It's odd isn't it - medical and dental practices now have "paperless" offices... the hospital is full of computers, but somehow they remain behind the times.

Thanks for the good wishes.

(BTW I hope your move went successfully and you're beginning to settle-in to your new home. :D)

I have a plan ...

Get any walking stick, paint it white, get dark sunglasses. Now, take the consultant's shortest list letter and go to the hospital, tell them that you're running out of time and could you please "see" some one today. :)

... 'cos you have a GW2 weekend this weekend and you really don't want to miss it. :cool:

I went to that hospital once, they kept asking me to go back. :rolleyes:
:lol: That sounds like a clever plan Mucks I could disguise one of the cats as a guide-dog too! :D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Right TC heres one for ya!

My mother has been waiting for an appointment for ages for her arthritic knee, which needs to be replaced as she is in agony most days with it, she gets a phone call last week the guy says can you come in on such and such date at 3:00pm for an appointment to see the consultant, yes says my mother of course, will you send me a follow up letter to confirm, no says the guy I'm telling you on the phone so you won't need one..

Great says my mum, I'll be there 3:00pm sharp on such and such date..

She turns up sharp for her appointment 3:00pm on the dot..
Receptionist says hello can I help, mum says yes I have a 3:00pm appointment to see counsultant such and such, oh sorry you should have been here earlier at 11:00am as now they have all gone home, and you were late!

Mum in fits of rage goes off at receptionist allthough its not her fault, mum has no letter of confirmation to back her up because guy on phone says she doesn't need one because he's telling her over the phone..

So telephoning is also without its vices, don't be fooled otherwise, get them to confirm by letter and phonecall if possible..:mad:

Now she's got to wait another 3 months for an appointment again...She's not a happy bunny..:(

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh that's awful CL, your poor Mum! No wonder she felt so mad - what a shame they refused to send her an appointment letter. That kind of letter is helpful, I would agree with you on that one. :nod: It's a bit much that your Mum has to wait for another three months, particularly when it wasn't her fault that the appointment was missed. Wishing her all the best. :)

Reaction score
I have to attend the hospital every year so they can check up on my pace maker.After I`ve seen the technician I make a further appointment for the following year,I`ve got that much confidence in the pace maker,and they write in down on my appointment card.I them toddle off home and wait. So this year on May 14th I go for this years appointment and I pass with flying colours. Today (6/6/12)I get a letter to remind me of that appointment! But what is bad about it was that the letter was written out on the 31st of May!!! weeks after my appointment.
And I get it today-------strange places hospitals.Maybe they`ve got a load of unpaid youngsters to do the filing for their benefits.
historian

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Good grief Historian, that really is unbelievably bad. There certainly seems to be a lack of communication between some of these hospital departments. That old saying about the right hand not knowing what the left is doing, comes to mind.:(

Glad to hear your check-up went well. :thumb:

Reaction score
The trouble the hospitals have become too big and impersonal, my doctor made an appointment for me to go to Maidstone for a check up. Unfortunately they downgraded Maidstone Hospital and a letter came for me to attend the new Pembury Hospital at 0800 which meant my wife had to take a day off work so we could go by car as our first bus to Maidstone is 0930 and it would take 2 hours journey going via Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells that is if all the buses connected or get taxi round trip fare £50. Ridiculous:mad:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It would appear lying may have become the norm. I applied for me bus pass on May 3rd. On May 18th, wondering why I hadn't received it, I phoned them. (an '0845' number :mad: ) and they said they'd never received the application despite local Post Office assuring me my application had been sent via the internet on their system.

Applied again same day (another passport photograph) and phoned after 8 days wondering where it was. And this is the lie 'We posted it out 3 days ago'. When it hadn't arrived after another five days I phoned again and they said it had been 'Posted out two days ago'. When I asked about the previous statement they said it was plainly not true. I said 'so somebody lied then?' Reply: 'It looks like it Sir'.

The lengths Cameron and Corporal Clegg will go to to save a few pennies eh?

As for the National Health it seems there is now a whole army of (mostly junior) administrators who are trained simply to save money, regardless of human suffering. If you're as old and farty as me you may recall having a sizeable sum taken from your wage every week that guaranteed you health care. Again, I will cite Cameron and Corporal Clegg as having made that a lie and rendered my investment over 40 years now worthless.

This is how politicians, er, nope, can't say that here, it's rood ;)

I've had good care as a cancer patient, cannot deny. But if it ain't life threatening, seems we got no chance, hence my biopsy report delay. I figure what we all should do, like Mucks suggested, is lie. CL's mum should suddenly become unable to walk and TC should go blind overnight. On gaining appointment with consultant unexplained miracle cures should suddenly enable perambulation and sight. Play the buggers at their own game.

Of course, what the Nurgle twins (Cameron and Corporal Clegg) really want is the dismantling of the NHS and everybody to subscribe to Private Health care for an astronomical monthly fee. They are, of course, simply carrying on the wheels that were set in motion by the Blair Witch.

Just so's we get an even political viewpoint there ;)

Ask a Question