Windows Vista just a general question, vista or xp?

Reaction score
ok i have windows xp i was wondering if windows vista is worth me switching or should i stick with the xp? i keep hearing about how vista is not worth it and i just wanted to get as many opinions as possible before i decide.
thanks!;)

Reaction score
Well Vista is cheaper in the US for a start!
I'm running it VMWare and i like what i see, but have not upgraded my laptop yet.
May wait until Service Pack 1 comes out to sort out the bugs etc.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i'd stick with XP until vista is well established, give it another 6 months

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
good question ...

supermom79 said:
ok i have windows xp i was wondering if windows vista is worth me switching or should i stick with the xp? i keep hearing about how vista is not worth it and i just wanted to get as many opinions as possible before i decide.
thanks!;)
The 'cheapest' way to get Vista, is to buy a new PC ... it will be the OS offered ... what version of Vista is the question ... for any Home user, you should ask for Vista Home Premium.

Now to the real question ... will you like it?

If you are a serious Gamer, simple answer is NO!! not yet, anyway, not untill they all want DX10 games. ;)

If you are the average PC Home user, then I would say maybe.

Vista is different, understatement there, but it does have a lot of very good points ... it is quite intuitive, once you realise how to use it. :thumb:

There are a lot of 'enhancements' under the bonnet, not just the Aero interface, which is fun, but quite a few really beneficial enhancements.

You will get annoyed with the security features such as UAC, but we have had the same thing for years in Linux & on MACs ... I have not turned it off, some do, and I will not for the simple reason I really think it is better than XPs "anybody can do anything" mentality.

I have never had a crash ... no, really, not one, no BSOD, not to say I haven't encountered an error or two, I have ... but, Vista is bloody good at self repair and I make full use of reporting any error to MS with the added bonus of actually getting feedback AND a suggested fix to the problem. :nod:

For the time being, it is more secure than XP, maybe simple because it is new and the nastie's writers are having problems circumventing Vista's security features, but for now, it is the best we got ... unless you buy a MAC or use Linux. :D

I, for one, like my Vista. ;)

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
One thing - what are your system specs?

You do need a fairly powerful machine to run Vista, much more so than XP.

I've actually liked XP from the start - and I play a lot of Games - so for now I'm sticking with XP.

When - and if - I start to read reports that Games run OK within Vista, I will maybe consider forking out £130.00 - I'm not a total Luddite, after all ;)

The Games issue is the main reason I never used Win2000, btw, I still have my copy of that MS OS - rarely used ;)

Ask a Question