Windows Vista MCE & Vista Upgrade, or just standalone Vista?

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I'm building a new PC very soon, and I'm just after a little advice/opinions on the OS choice.

I plan to use Vista Home Premium as the OS, but not sure which option here is the best.

1.)I can get XP Media Centre Edition with free upgrade to Vista Home Premium for £70.35 from www.aria.co.uk, or

2.)I can get Vista Home Premium OEM for £75.14 from Aria.

The prices are about the same, given that there will be a small extra postage fee for the vista upgrade (upon release) in option 1.
I presume the Vista upgrade in option 1 will require MCE to be installed first, and then upgraded using the Vista install disk (just a presumption as I've never installed a Windows upgrade, only standalone). And I also presume that the MCE serial number would carry over to the upgraded Vista, so I wouldnt be able to officially then use MCE on my spare PC.
Obviously, option 2 will be a standalone complete clean-install installation.

So, which is the best choice?
And what are options are others here opting for?

Reaction score
It really depends on how well Vista will perform when it's released.
If i was building a pc from scratch i would probably go for the OEM version & install it fresh on to the hard drive.
You will of course need to make sure you have all the drivers you need to run with Vista!

I have never been a fan of the upgrade versions as if you need to flatten the hard drive at a later stage you need to install both O/S’s to make it work.

But others may have a different view.:thumb:

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Cheers feckit.
I am pretty competent with OS's and stuff, so either option is easy for me, was just wandering on what options others were going for and would advise.
Personally I'm swayed to the standalone Vista.

Ask a Question