JumpDrive Troubles

G

I've been using a Lexar JumpDrive Pro 2.0 for about 6 months to take files back and forth between two PCs. Windows XP Professional SP1 is installed on both PCs. I'm no longer able to view data on the jumpdrive. Windows Explorer says the drive is not formatted and asks me whether I'd like to format the drive. Properties in Windows Explorer says the drive format is raw.

When it worked, the jumpdrive appeared as another local disk now it appears as a removable disk in Windows Explorer.

I took the jumpdrive to a 3rd PC on which WinXP Home Edition was installed and got the same message.
I believe the drive was orginally formatted as FAT32, I never reformatted it to NTFS before using it.
I plug the jumpdrive directly into a USB 1.1 port, I do not have a USB hub.

As best as I can remember, I did not have files stored on the jump drive left open when I removed the drive.
Is there a way I can recover the data, or must I reformat?

Can any one tell me what, if anything, I can do in the future to prevent this from happening again?
Thanks in advance for all help/suggestions!

Karen

F

Frank

Karen said:
I've been using a Lexar JumpDrive Pro 2.0 for about 6 months to take
files back and forth between two PCs. Windows XP Professional SP1 is
installed on both PCs. I'm no longer able to view data on the
jumpdrive. Windows Explorer says the drive is not formatted and asks
me whether I'd like to format the drive. Properties in Windows
Explorer says the drive format is raw.
When it worked, the jumpdrive appeared as another local disk now it
appears as a removable disk in Windows Explorer.
I took the jumpdrive to a 3rd PC on which WinXP Home Edition was
installed and got the same message.
I believe the drive was orginally formatted as FAT32, I never
reformatted it to NTFS before using it.
I plug the jumpdrive directly into a USB 1.1 port, I do not have a USB hub.

As best as I can remember, I did not have files stored on the jump
drive left open when I removed the drive.
Is there a way I can recover the data, or must I reformat?

Can any one tell me what, if anything, I can do in the future to
prevent this from happening again?
Thanks in advance for all help/suggestions!

Karen

Here are a couple of URL's Seems that they were having
a problem with some of these drives.

http://www.digitalfilm.com/digitalacc/index_jd.html

http://www.digitalfilm.com/digitalacc/index_jd.html

G

Frank

Thank you. I visited the web pages you specified. I see there is a 1-year limited warranty. I purchased the jumpdrive back on 16 August 2003

After posting my message, I sent an E-mail to Lexar support, and found a response in my E-mail box this morning. They asked for more information and send they would send me an address to which I could ship the jump drive. I'm waiting to hear from them again. Sure wish I understood why this happened so suddenly. I'm running WinXP Pro with SP1; I've had SP1 installed on both systems in question for some time now, and keep up with all the hotfixes/updates

For anyone out there who may be curious, I have a Lexar 512 Mb JumpDrive 2.0 Pro. I found the support E-mail address at Lexar's web site: http://www.lexarmedia.co

I did try googling for help, but did not find anything helpful

- Karen

Ask a Question