Jet SP8 and Windows XP SP2

Tom

Hi All,

I have a machine that needs Jet 4.0 SP8 installed to allow Access 2003
databases to function properly, however Windows XP SP2 is installed which
causes the installation of SP8 to fail (it says that the files are already
of a higher version than it has.)

Is there a workaround to this or do I have to uninstall SP2, install SP8 and
then reininstall SP2.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Tom Wickerath

Hi Tom,

You can do a simple check to verify which service pack of Jet 4.0 is currently installed:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=239114#2

Tom
_________________________________

"Tom" <tvinesAhtNoSpamMecambrianwindows.co.uk> wrote in message

Hi All,

I have a machine that needs Jet 4.0 SP8 installed to allow Access 2003
databases to function properly, however Windows XP SP2 is installed which
causes the installation of SP8 to fail (it says that the files are already
of a higher version than it has.)

Is there a workaround to this or do I have to uninstall SP2, install SP8 and
then reininstall SP2.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Tom

I went through the list of files.

While waiting for a reply I tried uninstalling SP2 and then installing SP8
then reinstalling SP2, which did not do anything for it at all. Still had
the same problem.

So I uninstalled SP2, installed SP8 (again) and checked the files against
the list in Q239114.

All were of the correct version except DAO360.dll which was 3.60.3714.5
(instead of 3.60.8025.0)

It is still asking for me to install SP8 when I open a database with macros
in it.

Am I missing something obvious?

Tom

Tom Wickerath

Hi Tom,
It is still asking for me to install SP8 when I open a database with macros
in it.
Am I missing something obvious?

I dunno. I'm going to defer this question to another expert who is running Access 2003. I am
still using Access 2002, so I haven't been subject to the new security warning messages built
into this latest version.

Tom W.

__________________________________

"Tom" <tvinesAhtNoSpamMecambrianwindows.co.uk> wrote in message

I went through the list of files.

While waiting for a reply I tried uninstalling SP2 and then installing SP8
then reinstalling SP2, which did not do anything for it at all. Still had
the same problem.

So I uninstalled SP2, installed SP8 (again) and checked the files against
the list in Q239114.

All were of the correct version except DAO360.dll which was 3.60.3714.5
(instead of 3.60.8025.0)

It is still asking for me to install SP8 when I open a database with macros
in it.

Am I missing something obvious?

Tom

Tom Wickerath

All were of the correct version except DAO360.dll which was 3.60.3714.5
(instead of 3.60.8025.0)

Did you find an updated version of this file? If you did, and you replaced your existing version,
you might try re-registering this file using the Regsvr32.exe utility. Perhaps this is the cause
of the continued warning messages?

To re-register an updated version of DAO360.dll, follow instruction # 5 in this document:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=303769

Good Luck!

Tom

PS. KB articles no longer include the "Q" prefix. The Q's were removed a couple of years ago, I
believe.

_________________________________

"Tom" <tvinesAhtNoSpamMecambrianwindows.co.uk> wrote in message

I went through the list of files.

While waiting for a reply I tried uninstalling SP2 and then installing SP8
then reinstalling SP2, which did not do anything for it at all. Still had
the same problem.

So I uninstalled SP2, installed SP8 (again) and checked the files against
the list in Q239114.

All were of the correct version except DAO360.dll which was 3.60.3714.5
(instead of 3.60.8025.0)

It is still asking for me to install SP8 when I open a database with macros
in it.

Am I missing something obvious?

Tom

6

'69 Camaro

Hi, Tom.
It is still asking for me to install SP8 when I open a database with macros
in it.

Am I missing something obvious?

Yes. But it's only obvious to people who thoroughly read through tons of
documentation on Access 2003's security model, so don't feel bad because
most of the rest of us didn't bother to dig into this documentation
either -- at least, not until after we tripped over these new security
features, too.

You are being warned about macro security because your computer's current
macro security setting is too high when you are opening a database that has
not been digitally signed (and therefore from a known entity who would never
dream of putting a virus in the database file to infect your computer or
otherwise wreak havoc, like delete files).

You can apply a digital signature to the database file (or ask the database
developer to apply it and send you a copy of the new database), or you can
change the macro security setting on your computer so that it stops warning
you about the dangers of opening up files from strangers.

To change the macro security setting to low (which is what most of us are
doing for the time being until digital signatures become more commonplace),
open Microsoft Access 2003, select the Tools menu -> Macro -> Security... to
open the Security dialog window. Select the "Low" option and select the
"OK" button to save your change. The next time you open an Access database,
this new setting will be used.

If you need to create your own digital signature for Access database
applications that you create yourself, then please see any of the following
Web pages for more detailed information:

(Please note that articles for earlier versions of MS Office also contain
information about macro security that apply to Access 2003, but may not be
discussed in the Access 2003 article.)

Create your own digital certificate:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP052495581033.aspx

Signing Access 2003 Projects:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsmart04/html/sa04d1.asp

Code Signing Office XP Visual Basic for Applications Macro Projects:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnoxpta/html/odc_dsvba.asp

MS Office 2K macro security:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../en-us/odeopg/html/deovrsigningvbaproject.asp

HTH.

Gunny

See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips.

(Please remove ZERO_SPAM from my reply E-mail address, so that a message
will be forwarded to me.)