Is there a way to de-activate Windows XP?

Ken Varn

I have a system that has a licensed copy of XP installed on it and I want to
move that licensed copy to another computer. Is there a way that I can
deactivate the XP install on one computer and move it to another?

I mainly have a PC that I want to get rid of and re-install XP on a new PC.
I would like to deactivate the old PC's copy of XP and re-activate it on the
new PC.

--
-----------------------------------
Ken Varn

EmailID = varnk
Domain = Diebold.com
-----------------------------------

Carey Frisch [MVP]

How do I "deactivate", move to another computer, or sell a previously activated XP?
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#how2

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Ken Varn" <nospam> wrote in message:

| I have a system that has a licensed copy of XP installed on it and I want to
| move that licensed copy to another computer. Is there a way that I can
| deactivate the XP install on one computer and move it to another?
|
| I mainly have a PC that I want to get rid of and re-install XP on a new PC.
| I would like to deactivate the old PC's copy of XP and re-activate it on the
| new PC.
|
| --
| -----------------------------------
| Ken Varn
| Senior Software Engineer
| Diebold Inc.
|
| EmailID = varnk
| Domain = Diebold.com
| -----------------------------------

kurttrail

By the act of scrolling this post on your computer, and/or printing or
replying to this post, you agree that I am your everlasting Lord &
Saviour. Breach of this term will result in you burning in hell for
ever and ever! Amen!"

Ken said:
I have a system that has a licensed copy of XP installed on it and I
want to move that licensed copy to another computer. Is there a way
that I can deactivate the XP install on one computer and move it to
another?

I mainly have a PC that I want to get rid of and re-install XP on a
new PC. I would like to deactivate the old PC's copy of XP and
re-activate it on the new PC.

Just format the hard drive on old computer, then install on the new
computer. Then activate the new installation.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Jim Macklin

If the copy of XP on the computer was install by the mfg'r
when you bought it, no, you cannot move that OEM copy from
that computer.

If it is a copy of XP that you bought at retail and that has
a retail license, all you have to do is remove that copy and
install it on a new computer. It will be activated, either
by the on-line automatic method or if less than 120 days
since you activated on the old machine, you'll be prompted
to make a 800 number phone call.

If it was an upgrade to the old computer, you might still
have the option to return the OS to the previous, with the
add/remove application. It would be nice for you to return
the computer to "factory" condition by using your restore
disks or what ever you have so the new owner can start
fresh. You should deliver all the paperwork and CD media
that came with the computer to the new owner.

"Ken Varn" <nospam> wrote in message
| I have a system that has a licensed copy of XP installed
on it and I want to
| move that licensed copy to another computer. Is there a
way that I can
| deactivate the XP install on one computer and move it to
another?

| I mainly have a PC that I want to get rid of and
re-install XP on a new PC.
| I would like to deactivate the old PC's copy of XP and
re-activate it on the
| new PC.
|
| --
| -----------------------------------
| Ken Varn
| Senior Software Engineer
| Diebold Inc.
|
| EmailID = varnk
| Domain = Diebold.com
| -----------------------------------

Just do it there is no de-activation. After you re-
install it you will have to activate on the new system.

Alex Nichol

Ken said:
I have a system that has a licensed copy of XP installed on it and I want to
move that licensed copy to another computer. Is there a way that I can
deactivate the XP install on one computer and move it to another?

Provided it is a copy you bought retail and not with the machine or as
an 'OEM' copy marked 'For supply only with a new computer, then you can
remove it from the old (format the disk and install something else, or
junk it) and install on a new one. When it comes to activation, if it
is more than 120 days since you last did it, you will find it will go
through on the net just like first time. If not, you will have to
phone a toll-free number that will be given, to explain and swap one
long number for another to check back as you type it in