Is SLI worth it???

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi all,

So me mate is planning on getting another 8800gt on ebay so he can sli the one he has.

He has an ASUS P5N-D, OCZ 600W PSU, he says they go for about £60 second hand.

But i've read a few reviews saying that some games won't accept SLI and that performances gains are from 40% upto 80%.

So is it worth it?

Oh and he cannot afford to buy anything newer or bigger.

Reaction score
Depends on their addiction to gaming.
As a non-gamer if i was to start i would buy a dedicated machine like a Play Station or Wii.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Generally speaking I'd say no but at that price and considering the circumstances, I'd say yes.

Reaction score
It would be good to see how he gets on for us all to see.

I wonder how many amongst us actually have SLI.

Reaction score
I used to have it, however split them up as the games I was playing never really saw the benefit in

The spare card I have is now in another machine next to me.

Seriously now considering buying a 9800GTX+ which have plummeted which would be a massive massive improvement over my 6800Gs's

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Okay cheers guys, looks like he is gonna do it, will let you knowe how he gets on.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
I had SLi running with 2x6600gt and found a very slight difference..need to check with a benchmark program and then decide :)

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
So he managed to get another one for £64, he has run a few benchmarks and says that he is getting about 65% better FPS, but only when Gaming at higher resolutions.

He says he can now play Crysis on high, which is nice.

Can Max out settings on COD4 and COH at 1680 x 1050 with AA on.

On 3DMark06 he ran it 5 times and an average of those 5 times works out at 69%. Lowest 59% Highest 77%

So all in all pretty good i would say.

Read some reviews and an 8800GT OC in SLI is on par with an 9800GX2, so considering you can pickup an 8800GT at the mo for £80 - £90 on specials makes it a very good buy, if you have 2 x PCI-E 2.0 at 16x that is.

Last edited:

Ask a Question