is firefox running or is it not

nesredep egrob

I have had some trouble getting documentation for Gimp - the free Photoshop.
Firefox would not work so I used MS Explorer downloaded the files, that
incidentally did not work - well 2 of them did but the rest just refused to show
the video - sound was there but the video was missing.

Meanwhile I had ideas of getting Firefox to work - did not take too long to see
that firefox must have been set in action in some way or other as I kept getting
the message to close it. I thought a cold boot would do so nicely and I also had
a look to see what is started up when Windows XP Pro 3 was starting. It appeared
that nothing was started yet when I rebooted to message came up again telling me
that firefox was closing. It was positioned in D:\Program Files so I deleted all
that did not give too much trouble - firefox.exe would not let me delete it.

I brought up another version of Firefox using MS Explorer - when I got to
install it the message to close firefox came up again and stopped the install
which should have been in C:\Program Files.

I suspect a virus trouble of some kind but the scanners I have used so far have
come up with nothing - ANY IDEAS - PLEASE

Børge in sunny Perth, Australia

Tom [Pepper] Willett

Have you asked the experts in the Firefox newsgroup?

:
[...]

Jose

"nesredep egrob" <Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40> wrote in message:I have had some trouble getting documentation for Gimp - the free
[...]

If you try to completely close Firefox, it hangs around as a running
task for a bit. If you try to start it up too soon, you will get a
message that it is already running.

There should be no problem with launching another Firefox if one is
already running - I sometimes have a couple running at a time.
Sometimes on purpose. You should only get the message when you close
the last one and then try to launch it again before it disappears from
Task Manager. You can watch Task Manager to see when the process
disappears. It is not instantaneous.

After closing Firefox you can wait or check in Task Manager and
terminate it. It should go away eventually by itself - I would say no
more than 10-15 seconds or so after closing but that depends on what
else is going on. If you close all your Firefox browsers and it NEVER
goes away from Task Manager, then you have some other problem.

A good scanning software is Malwarebytes free software. Download it,
install, update it, and do a full scan.

Now that you know this, if you are still having problems with Firefox,
uninstall it using Add/Remove programs and install it again on you now
clean system.

[...]

A whole days work down the drain.

According to Task Manager - Firefox is working and uses memory to the amount
from 150K to 250K - taking cpu time at 50% - at the same time Firefox does not
show on the screen.
Selecting Firefox, It can be ended by the task mananger.

I then started the computer in safe mode to completely remove all references to
Firefox. Re-installed and the result was that Firefox did not start
automatically and system Idle process leveled at 99% CPU time - Call firefox and
the CPU usage by Firefox jumps back again to 50% and more than 250K of memory
usage and still does now show of what it is doing.

The computer has been scanned with Malware and AVG Plus NoAdware4 and there was
no signs of virii.

As I said - Firefox will now start - only when I start it up but there is no
show except in the Task Manager

Seems that I might have to bring the Prgram Files back from a former

[...]

Problem solved.

This was a good day - I had all that trouble with Firefox. I happened to run
down the list of all files (you know Start/Programs) on my computer and at the
bottom I found a Firefox which turned out to have a sub folder name Firefox
(SAFE).

As I had nothing to lose I tried that - there were some boxes with ticks in them
- I unticked them all except one that referred to my private setting as far as I
remember. The result was a show of Firefox on the screen and the Taskmanager
showed no undue usage of CPU or Memory. Getting to feel a little happy, I
rebooted just to see it was not a mistake - no there was Firefox as good as ever
before. Naturally I set a restore point and got acronis to backup Partition C:
and D:

Børge in sunny Perth, Australia

During the trouble I had the computer download the Video for Gimp. The result
was sound only, no video - that was also corrected with the alterations I had
made to Firefox