IPOD Video Conversion Software

Reaction score
Dear all,

I have numerous avi's, mov's, mpg's etc, along with a couple of diving DVD's from my trips to Malta and Egypt. I would like to convert these all for playback on the IPOD Classic.

I've seen a bit of free software called Videora but if anyone could recommend any software that does all the above (free or otherwise) I would be grateful.
Also is it difficult to rip DVD's?

Thanks,

Ian

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
For easy conversion to iPod movie files I use DVD2Pod which I picked up in PC World about 14 months ago for a tenner.

It's very simple, will make a compressed file in the right format from either a disk or file with just a few mouse clicks. Quick as well. If you're looking for a simple no frills piece of software this works well.

I recently purchased a piece of Software named DVD Ripper from a company named Imtoo mostly for converting DVD's to DivX for my HTPC but it also converts video footage to files suitable for iPod. Link. I bought the Platinum version which costs about £25.00.

So far I've converted around 160 DVD's to DivX and it works well. Note that it won't work on DVD's with any form of anti-copying protection present.

To rip DVD's I use Nero. I use this in conjunction with DVDShrink; DVD Decrypter and DVDFabDecrypter. And for movie editing I use Pinnacle Studio, I think version 11 is the latest version.

You do need a fairly powerful PC to use Pinnacle, people have had problems using it with older systems but it works fine for me and I find it quite easy to use. An alternative is Windows' own Movie Maker which doesn't have as many features as Pinnacle Studio but comes free with Windows.

You can pick an OEM version of Nero up for less than a tenner from many online computer E-Tailers.

To rip a DVD I first use DVD Shrink to make Video and Audio folders on my hard disk. DVD Shrink compresses the footage to 4.5Gb or less so it will fit on a single DVD-R. If I have problems with DVD Shrink I then use either DVD Fab or DVD Fab DeCrypter followed by DVD Shrink.

And then Nero to burn the resulting folders to disk.

This method works fine for me.

DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter & DVD Fab Decrypter have all been around for several years and are widely used but there is still maybe a grey area about their legality so I won't provide links. They are all free or have free lite versions and have not been threatened with closure, however. Google for links.

I am not familiar with Videora so can't comment.

If anybody else here knows of any free video software that is legal and works well, please provide a pointer.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Not free but dirt cheap . I think the Nero and the Cyberlink DVDSuite will both re-code and burn vid files .

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Software/Applications/

user.gif

Reaction score
Thank you very much guys, that is extremely helpful and much appreciated :thumb:

Ask a Question