Windows XP IPConfig /FlushDNS

Reaction score
I have a small home network consisting of 2 desktop PC connected via RJ45 toa Hub, which also connects to one Wireless Gateway. I have my one, mian computer - which is connected tot he internet and shares the internet access accross the hub - Recently, On the other computer connect via RJ45 which is the guest to the shared internet I have to type in the RUN cmd dialogue or the Command window IPConfig /FlushDNS in order to proceed to any website. I use IE and Firefox - More Firefox lately, But when I try to visit web pages i get an error stating either page cannot be found, cannot be located, didn't respond, time out - As soona s I do the IPConfig /FlushDNS and immediately try the web page again I will get on 100% of the time. It seems after 7 minutes I have to repeat this process. I went to Services and clicked on the DNS Client and viewed the 'Recovery' tab - I changed the first failure action to restart the DNS Client Service, and the second failure was to run a program which simply a link to a Batch file that runs the command IPConfig /FlushDNS. What would be causing this to happen.

Specs: Internet is provided via Cable modem to the first computer with 2 installed network cards, one serves the the correct MAC address for the modem, the other serves the other computer on my hub with internet access. New machines, running Windows XP SP2 all updates - All running Mozilla Firefox - Aopen brand Network cards 10/100. This problem only arises while viewing web pages, MIRC, Usenet connections unaffected. E-mail sometimes affected (web based).

Reaction score
You shouldn't need a hub to connect two WXP machines just a crossover RJ45 cable. You can make one machine the Gateway to the Internet and run the other one through it, although the gateway has to be running for the other machine to have Internet access.

Reaction score
It basically a poor mans rig - When I ran the cables through the wall initially it was setup a bit diffrent. But now, the 2 pc's are further away from eachother, so the Hub kinda serves as joiner in a way. I don't have the right length of cable to go from pc to pc. Plus I didn't want to purchase another network card to run just the wirless gateway - I have no PCI slots left on either machine.

This used to work great - This problem only occurs with this one machine. I think a format and reinstall has beenlong overdue for that system, so maybe the bug will work themselves out during a re-install.

Ask a Question